Home > Trip Reports > June 1, 2003, Hidden Lakes Peak

June 1, 2003, Hidden Lakes Peak

6/1/03
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by kam on 6/2/03 6:33am
First time on this mountain; toured with three others (Ingrid, Craig, and Chris). FR 1450 (?, to Hidden Lakes) from cascade river road is snow free to the TH (3400'). A short 15-minute hike (~600' elev. gain) on hidden lakes trail put us at the start of the snow, which is the bottom of a LARGE slide path in east fork. I felt insignificant. If it were earlier in the season, I would pick a different route. Visibility was limited, but from the map, the summer trail crosses the path, traverses east below steep south aspect slopes and then turns south still on relatively steep slopes with potential looming cornices above. We chose to avoid the summer route and agreed that the snow was consolidated enough to continue up the path. Two options from here: (i) boot up higher to better snow, or (ii) skin up on debris mixed with rocks, trees, and dirt. My x-mas present Skye Alpine blue/white cow hide -> BD Ascension skins are saying, "No, Mr. Kam, not this crap!" I whisper quietly, "Sucks being you!"

We proceeded up the path a bit until a better option came along.  Shortly, we turned south, climbed out of the alley through sparse trees to gain a small ridge which put us on more gentle terrain and just below the summer trail. Bingo! But wait, the map says we're still below steep slopes (visibility was poor). The surrounding avi debris and dwarf-like trees reconfirmed.  We didn't spend much time there, just spaced out and continued, gently making our way through protective features and slowly climbing toward the saddle, which divides Hidden Lakes peak and the perch of the lookout station.  From the saddle (6600') , we continued north along a ridge, traversing over slightly exposed real estate while avoiding cornices. Finally, a short scramble put us on the summit (7088').

The weather cleared from time-to-time exposing Eldorado, the Triad, and various other peaks. Amazing views from up there! Hidden lake below was beautiful and starting to thaw. There are some really cool, yet very steep and narrow, finger-chutes that terminate at the south edge of the lake. I wonder if anyone has skied them. We spent about an hour relaxing and teasing the weather.

The first part of the ski down was great, but the creamy corn soon turned to slush. My skis would have glided better with the cow-hide skins. Back at the car by 4pm and it started to rain.

-k
Nice Report, Kam.
That's great terrain up there.

I'm glad to hear that the conditions are good.  I will be heading up to HLP this week, probably tomorrow.  I am hoping that this clear weather, with warm days and radiational cooling will firm up the base and corn up the snow a bit more.

The slide area off of the north ridge is an ultra active zone that often climax avalanches.  It is one of those rare (maybe not so rare, actually) slopes that is very steep, yet not too steep, allowing snow to actually accumulate heavy amounts without sloughing.  It is south facing so that after the heavy accumulations, sun shine will cause melting, saturation, weighting and great lubrication.  Lack of vegetation anchors cause these slides to carry much more than snow, often with mud and soil sliding with the snow.  Scary in one sense however from the numerous trips that I have made during the spring up there, it is clear that it really is fairly safe for two reasons: one is that it almost always has already slid (and as a climax, ie. to the ground) so that the danger is past.  Second, it is easy to see the danger very early on, even from the car.  So... if you see that slope with snow on it, you better stay clear.  There are options in avoiding it in any case, see below.

I have avoided that accumulation zone altogether by heading up through the trees.  As you said, the debris field, even if not filled with soil and roots,etc. can be no fun to ski anyway.  After a few hundred yards of the trail or less, one can head for point 7088 essentially directly.  This keeps you well away and above the accumulation zone and gets you to where you want to be.  It can be steep and a bt of a bushwack, but hey it is not that far.  Once you exit the trees, well then you have to assess things again, but then the options become pretty broad.

Alan

Ron J, thanks. Beautiful terrain it is! ...lots of options.

Alan,
Wonderful comments. I agree, it is active, but with some planning, the "zone" can be easily avoided. As you mentioned, heading up through the more mature timbers is a good option. You should find good conditions because of the recent weather. Unfortunately, we had to deal with saturated snow, which provided nearly zero glide. Overall, the tour was well worth it--beautiful scenery. Have a wonderful time.

-kam

Kam,

One thing that I forgot to mention was to comment on your ideas of skiing the chutes down to the lake.  I have not done so, but I have been up into the area where I have seen individuals ski east of the peak/ridge area.  In fact I hope to explore this area.

I will not do the steep chutes that you mention.  A bit more than I want to handle solo and in leather boots, but I will explore the rather extensive area that covers just east and north of point 7088.  This area looked beautiful that last time I was there, but I was out of shape and couldn't do it in the time that I had.

My biggest concern is that by the time I get up to that area it will have received sun for most of the morning.  I will do a little digging, try to stay on sheltered aspects where the snow ought to be more stable.  Also, being northeast facing, my concern will be the likely large cornices, but if I remember correctly, this did not seem to be a big issue.

Alan

Kam,

Those chutes into the lake are short, but pretty fun.  There are also some good runs towards the Triad on the east side, as well.  I quite often go straight up the HLP ridge and either ascend the ridge (fun later in the year when it is a romp over huge granite boulders) dropping onto the east side when the ridge is no fun.

A secret stash for many for a number of years.  I guess the secret's out!!

Bill G

Alan:
You're right, there is a lot to explore up there. When I find the time, I'll do a little poking around and keep you posted.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Bill G:
Okay, now I'm really curious about those chutes.  I'll have a closer look during my next visit. Also, thanks for the suggestion about the Triad...definitely on the list of places to ski.

Cheers,
-kam

Kam,

Did HLP yesterday and I will post on that great trip.  Some comments on your experience with the route and the obvious avalanche hazards that I may have misinterpreted and reevaluated after being there myself.  I think the area of cornices directly west of pt. 7088 can be an issue, but my assessment of the conditions yesterday was that even if those cornices dropped the snowpack was pretty homogenious (pretty well bonded yet not frozen hard) to as far as I dug.  So if the cornices dropped, the event would probably mean that you would get some blocks to roll a short way down without the triggering of an avalanche.  It was my interpretation that the debris field under that area was not very recent and probably due to the snow fall that occured approx. a month ago.  

I avoided the Sibley Pass gully and suffered the steep trees to exit to tree line right where that slide stopped below the cornices.  It was a difficult but short tree stretch that probably saved me a little time, but not until after I ended my day coming down Sibley Pass gully did I fear of snow slides.  That area is really very steep and I should have stayed up high on the treed slope just south of the gully.  To me a small slide in those little tree lined slots in the gully area are more dangerous at this time of the year than the cornices up high.

Alan

Reply to this TR

june-1-2003-hidden-lakes-peak
kam
2003-06-02 13:33:46