Home > Trip Reports > Snowdome, Mt. Hood, 7/1/07

Snowdome, Mt. Hood, 7/1/07

7/15/07
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Volcanogrrl on 7/2/07 11:19am
Wow, was the entire population of TAY on Mt. Hood or what?  :)
Jamie and I had a great time on Snowdome.  Weather was cooperative, snow was beautiful, just a great day all around.  We did Snowdome on 7/1.  We were kind of late, but it was just fine.  Funny thing -- two women pulled up next to us at Cloud Cap.  I can't really comment on their appearance because I don't really KNOW if they were sporting silicone, but... well... they had a certain non-outdoorsy look.  But that's fine, everybody should enjoy the outdoors.  They just didn't like getting the outdoors on their car.  "Oh my god, my car is FILTHY!!!  Look at this dirt, Miranda!  I had NO idea we'd be driving up a LOG road!  Be careful when you close the trunk, you'll get dirty!"  Yeah, seriously.  I guess if you're the type who looks forward to getting dirty, you find it hard to understand those who don't like to get dirty, and vice versa. 
Here's the melodramatic and verbose trip report (with pictures -- hopefully more to come).
http://backcountrytr.blogspot.com
Judging by everyone's TRs, that was a great place to be for the weekend!  :)
Now this is what I call a TR  ;D

Good to meet you. I hope everyone had a great time! I sure did...

-r

Yes wonderful time was had. Thanks Volcanogrrl for the TR and photos.  Lets do that again tomorrrow - eh??!!  Can't wait to see the other photos. 

And getting dirty is really what its all about, (vs the opinions of our trailhead company) in fact while i was reinforcing the dog's kennel tonight with extra boards, screws, etc, i thought the only true way to use this power drill and handsaw is in a pretty floral skirt.  great fun until i ripped my skirt on the fence.  hmm. so much for that.  but the advice still stands - "best be stayin out of dem nasty craks" (to quote myself correctly). 

Great day on the Dome,

Me and my buddy Dave were carving up the corn that day as well...and what a great day it was!

All this time I have been reading posts by Volcanogrrl, and what do I do but pass you on our way down from the dome and didn't even say hi!

It's never to late I guess...Hi!

Hope you don't mind me posting a few pic's?

Don

PS - Roger that's you skiing down thru the clouds.

Don,

You get major kudos on the photos! I wish I had 1/2 the photographic skills as you obviously have.

Good to put an face to all the Avatars :)

-r

Gorgeous shots!  Wow, we practically coulda had a TAY party up there, what with how many of us were up there.  So cool.  bc-skier, you must've been coming down the trail while we were on our way up, huh?

Jamie -- tomorrow.  Yeah, I'm in.  (hell yeah!)  I might have a friend coming with me.  it'd be awesome to make a day-trip of it, and find a perch to enjoy whatever fireworks fun Hood River has to offer?  Anyone?  Bueller?

I gotta go fix my tR with the correct Jamie Quote!

Just noticed from Vgirl's blog that they accessed the dome by going up the glacier while I've always gone up the climbers trail. So which is easier or better?

Anybody ski down the languile (sp?) side and down to the mtn. trail? Hows the snow cover down that side?

Wish I could find the time to get out - I'm jealous!

Rog

* who needs tele-in', with style like that!  -- great shot Don!

author=Snodger link=topic=7515.msg29983#msg29983 date=1183486199]
Just noticed from Vgirl's blog that they accessed the dome by going up the glacier while I've always gone up the climbers trail. So which is easier or better?

Rog

Apparently (and correct me if I'm wrong), the climbers' trail used to cross Elliot creek and go up that ridge on the west side of elliot creek.  If that's the case, I promise you that the climbers' trail is hardest and worst.  There is no bridge anymore.  I didn't see evidence of a trail either.  The route we took was well-worn and easy, very easy. 

Volcanogrrl is correct, the bridge and a good portion of the trail was washed out from the rains of this past fall.  The trail above Cloud Cap is well defind and easy to follow.

Another pic for you corn dogs!...Roger making it look easy!

Don

Congrats volcanogirl et al. on a great trip! Snowdome is a beautiful tour. In response to:

author=Snodger link=topic=7515.msg29983#msg29983 date=1183486199">

You are more exposed to creavasses (which will become a bigger problem later in the season) and you miss out on skiing the Langille Glacier bowls (see red arrows on topo) by accessing/exiting Snowdome via the Eliot glacier bench. As Don and others noted, crossing the Eliot drainage below the glacier is now a mess because of last fall's floods. If it was not, that's the easiest/safest way to get to and from the dome. When exiting the dome (assuming you can cross the Eliot drainaged below the glacier), skiing the Langile glacier bowls maxmimizes the fun-meter.

Congrats again on the fun trip!

PS: I always try to skin up Snowdome (which is sometimes easier with ski crampons) to avoid things like:
"At the top, Camilo post-holed into a baby crevasse. He just stepped into it and fell, about waist-deep."

Hey Jeff!
Yeah, actually he did mention something about skinning for that very reason...
Shouldn't you be watching fireworks?  :)

Wonder if there is any chance of crossing the Eliot below Cloud Cap?

OH~ I forgot to add, we met this guy:  http://www.turns-all-year.com/indexyrsimages/szwedkot/pho.html at the parking lot when we came back down!  He did Snowdome twice in the morning. 
I didn't realize who he was until the other night while perusing all the folks who have these crazy multi-year streaks of TAY.  wow. 

author=Volcanogrrl link=topic=7515.msg30016#msg30016 date=1183614567">
OH~ I forgot to add, we met this guy:  http://www.turns-all-year.com/indexyrsimages/szwedkot/pho.html

Did you ask for his autograph or to bear his children for him? That's not just any guy--that's tomski!! He has skied the greatest number of consecutive months out of anyone on the planet. He started his ski streak the same year I was born.

"When I grow up, I want to be tomski"

~blink blink~
OH I'M SO STUPID!!!!!!  tomski's LOVE BABIES! 
I had NO idea!!  ~moment of silence~ 
Yeah, he did mention that he'd done the snowdome twice that day.  I sort of kicked the dirt and muttered something like, "cheese and rice". 
He was a nice guy. 

Hey there!  It was awesome skiing with you guys last weekend.  I'll post a couple of pictures when I get them hosted somewhere - a bunch of them ended up blurry, but a few are okay.
-Camilo

Great!  I can' wait to see the pics, even if blurry. . . I use picasa (by google) for sharing photos online.  I had so much fun on Sunday, i was ready to go up again yesterday - except my car bugged out on me and wouldn't start. we fixed it but had too late a start, so hiked up timberline for some nice turns and very few crowds.

author=Camilo link=topic=7515.msg30046#msg30046 date=1183684688]
Hey there!  It was awesome skiing with you guys last weekend.  I'll post a couple of pictures when I get them hosted somewhere - a bunch of them ended up blurry, but a few are okay.
-Camilo

author=bc_skier link=topic=7515.msg29991#msg29991 date=1183510350]
the bridge and a good portion of the trail was washed out from the rains of this past fall. 

Last spring/summer the bridge was out but the crossing was still quite doable, made for a fun ski out those langile crags.
but two weeks ago took a look at it and if you could get down to it, the river crossing wouldn't be bad, but the slopes have erroded severely and steeply.  And those slopes slide like butter.

Reply to this TR

snowdome-mt-hood-7-1-07
Volcanogrrl
2007-07-02 18:19:43