Home > Trip Reports > June 30-July 1 Summer Olympics

June 30-July 1 Summer Olympics

7/15/07
WA Olympics
Posted by ovrthhills on 7/2/07 5:17am

Thanks Michael for doing all the scouting on your previous trips to this area. The chute was a marvellous ski and yes SKYKILO the snow was really good. :D

It was very special to reach this flat green meadow at the base of the chutes that is probably very rarely visited by humans. There are big boulders everywhere and evidence of huge avalanches that must sweep these faces on a regular basis during the winter. We found one boulder about the size of a  small car that was perched on a neck of snow. It had fallen earlier in the season when the snow was higher and then the snow had melted around it leaving it perched.

Between the two chutes we skied there are a couple more that are over 1800 ft long and even steeper, ( Skykilo territory!)

These chutes dropping of the Elk Mountain ridge are like the Sunrise chutes on steroids, plus you can see the San Juan's and Vancouver island as you ski down. Truly memorable.

I'm also very proud of my son Stewie for undertaking such a rigorous tour and dropping into uncharted territory with such confidence. Thanks Michael and Sid for such a great weekend.
Can you post  a link to some more pictures?

Chris, here is a link to the rest of my photos. Elk Mountain

I am sure Stewart is the first 15 year old human to visit that basin.  Thanks for taking so many great pictures and going with me on a "hairbrain" tour.

Looks like a neat place!

Driving home from Shi Shi Beach yesterday, I was ogling your north-facing stashes from east of Port Angeles.  They looked very healthy and tasty, definitely worthy of a visit one of these days.  How does that fatty early July stash compare to a normal year?

Sky,
This year is a bit exceptional. The Olympics received more than their usual share of snow, the spring was cold and overcast, and there was a lot of south-southwest wind which deposited more snow on north facing slopes.  The south slopes were very thin and melted out earlier than usual.  The three big chutes hold snow most years when the road to Waterhole opens.  But the steeper, chutes in the cliff bands are usually melted out by mid-june and earlier they avalanche all the time.  We speculated that there must have been a glacier in the east chute in the not to distant past because of the moraine like appearance of the terrain and the 20 ft deep "drifts" near the top. 

Reply to this TR

june-30-july-1-summer-olympics
ovrthhills
2007-07-02 12:17:43