Home > Trip Reports > Assault on Dege, North Face...7-1-07

Assault on Dege, North Face...7-1-07

7/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JW on 7/2/07 2:40am
Five of us left high camp Hairpin at approximately 9:00 am Sunday morning for Dege Peak and an attempt at the fabled North Face Route ....by about 9:45 we were approaching the summit when three of our party, Ron, Jeanette and Holly were stricken with I.C.H. (ice cream headache) ... they evidently had too much, too fast and too early of Ron's famous Mountain Margaritas. they were forced to bivy for three or four minutes in the South Col while Marco and myself made our way up and around the tricky backdoor to the North Line. At about 9:53 we clicked in and became the first skiers (in July of 07) to descend that route ... quite an impressive accomplishment if I do say so myself!... high five Marco! As you can guess editting this much video may take awhile...stay tuned 8)

High five’s all around!  I had already climbed the infamous “Jarvis Step” from the South Col and gained the summit before learning three of our party had succumbed to acute I.C.H.  Had I known of their impending condition I would have stayed back to assist!  Nevertheless, bagging a “First Summit” (of the month) is always very satisfying, and first descents just icing on the cake.   ;) 

I was so proud to have not been scared off by Dege, when the party moved on to “I’m Not Afraid” Bowl my confidence was just bursting over!  Then a concerned tourist asked whether we had ever done this before and suddenly an impending feeling of fear and doom overcame me (Fear Factor ski run, next chute over skier’s left, way too scary).

It wasn’t until the second run down Not Afraid did I begin to feel back in sync (sorry, too hard to explain), and as the party moved on to Sunrise Basecamp for Maddog’s famous homewrecker hotdogs I realized we’d nailed it - another perfect day in the Northwest!

Cheers everyone!  Great day, great company, great turns…   8)

how much O2 did you carry  -- if you went without, then that's impressive!!!

Skiing still looks good! Good to be a NWesterner!

:)

author=Marco Angel link=topic=7509.msg29940#msg29940 date=1183409190]
High five’s all around!  I had already climbed the infamous “Jarvis Step” from the South Col and gained the summit before learning three of our party had succumbed to acute I.C.M.  Had I known of their impending condition I would have stayed back to assist! . . . suddenly an impending feeling of fear and doom overcame me (Fear Factor ski run, next chute over skier’s left, way too scary).

Should have stayed back for that "shot" of courage with the rest of us . . .  ;)

We're too tough to carry oxygen, Kamster.  Besides, I has enough supplementary specialized mountaineering sustenance to carry as it was.

After we conquered K-Dege we headed for "Fear Factor" but fearing that it wouldn't "goat" we settled for yoyoing "no fear bowl" at which Victor joined is on his personal quest for a memorable 40th birthday and beginning his 106th month of year round skiing.
Congrads, Victor, and well done! (nice turns, too!)

There's more pics behind the collages, see if you can find em  ;)

Yikes !  What an accomplishment.  I'm pleased you all made it back safe.  As your mom probably said during your formative years, "be careful".

Now that's killing it.  Way to be.

Zap: My mom always says, "Be wise."

Thanks for all the pics Ron! I was sorry that I forgot my camera so we could have had some of you.

Having been left for dead on the South Col and suffering the effects of not very hypoxia, I was rescued by the heroes near the summit of Dege Peak. I credit Ron's selfless sharing of his aptly-named tonic for my revitalization. Thanks again for making the entry into my 40s memorable.

Sounds epic! ;) Entertaining TR there JW!

I told you it would take awhile......Assault on Dege

I'm glad to hear you all escaped Dege alive, sweet vid JW!

Makes me wish I was there!
Great video DanJer!

When do we go back for a re-shoot?

Wow, the opening sequence really captures the drama of our assault, its like being there all over again...  ;)

Another great video JW!

Dege was a tough one, but someone had to do it  ;).  Fun video Jer :D.

Reply to this TR

assault-on-dege-north-face-7-1-07
JW
2007-07-02 09:40:58