Home > Trip Reports > July 1, 2007, Mt Hood SunshineSnowdome

July 1, 2007, Mt Hood Sunshine\Snowdome

7/1/07
OR Mt Hood
Posted by RogerJ on 7/2/07 1:41am
Dan (Hefeweisen) and I deceided to climb\ski the Sunshine route on Sunday July 1. We headed up to Cloud Cap Saturday evening and set up camp around the snowline to help with the whole early start.

We spent the evening eating, and looking at the upper section of the climb thinking it was the money run.

On Sunday, my intestines decided to play evil tricks on me. The skies were clear and it was warm, so I decided to give the climb a go anyhow. About the time we got to the top of the snowdome, it was pretty obvious that I should reconsider the summit. Dan carried on solo following the route that a team of 4 was taking.

I sat on the snowdome in the sun waiting for the snow to warm. Around 8:15 I headed down, and hit the snow spot on in terms of quality corn. Several skiers were skiining up already. By the time I was at the rock band that leads to the flatter section of the Elliot, I knew that I would probably not die if I skinned up for another lap. Monday's are for calling in sick anyhow. I skinned up again, and took another run in really good creamy conditions.

By then Dan was on the summit and heading down. I watched another party descend the upper section, thinking Dan was in that group, but low and behold, he skied up to the tent moments later.

We met up with some cool TAY posters (you KNOW who you are) and another ski buddy. I guess it really does not get a whole lot better in July for the fun factor.

It was not what I planned, but it sure was good.

-r

I've been picture posting impared but here goes. Mt Hood Sunrise. The Sunshine Route\Snowdome are on lookers right.

Sweet!!!
What a great day!

Roger,

Great meeting you and Dan Sunday morning on Snowdome...that was the best cornfarming I've ever done in July!  Still dreaming about it today!    I snapped a  shot of you on your first lap down Snowdome.

Dave,

Lookin good on those new skis!

Roger,

I have a couple good pic's of you, guess I'll have to start a new post.  Good to meet you.

Don

Reply to this TR

july-1-2007-mt-hood-sunshine-snowdome
RogerJ
2007-07-02 08:41:06