Home > Trip Reports > 6/30-7/1 Freemont Area - MRNP

6/30-7/1 Freemont Area - MRNP

6/30/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Stugie on 7/1/07 1:44pm
After many bc trips, this will be my first tr ever...on with the laughs.

My buddy Kyle and I decided last minute against surfing and to get some turns in around Berkeley Park/Freemont area near Sunrise.  Hiking in displayed in rich visuals all the lines still to be had (or had over as the case sometimes was).  Voting to try our luck at the north facing aspects of Freemont proved to be a lucky guess.  Both NW facing bowls on either side of the first, heavily pinnacled, rock prow held plenty of snow and some chutes still navagible (the one with the lake, and the one with the moraine remnants).  Some lines would even reach Forest Lake, although the steeper stuff called for shorter, more frequent laps.  Wish I knew the names of some of the particular lines in that area, sorry not more specific.

As forecasted, the clouds grew heavy but Rainier mangaed to block us from the weather.  Clouds ran in Sunday and stayed.  Snow conditions were slightly heavier than corn, but still very enjoyable.  Some of the lower areas were hard and troughed due to run-off.  Our route was basically Sunrise to the lookout, via laps up and down the freemont bowls and all around.  Sunset with clouds at around 10,000 made for an amazing finish to the day.  Sunrise with same conditions started things off well too.  Not to mention the 99% blood red moon that rose near 10:15 pm.  Today we ripped as many lines as possible, then back out to the car.  Yelled up to some people up near the lookout.  Looked like they were going to try dropping W on the ridge from the lookout.  Note: All sides accessible via Freemont Lookout are melted out.   Berkeley Park still had some nice looking runs as did the Burrows.  If you're really intent, Skyscraper Mtn. seemed to have some possible booty as well.  Intense sun (proven later by the sunburn on my chest and arms) and despite the clouds,  made some noticible changes in snowpack within the two days spent out.  I'm still going through pics, but here were a few I managed to pick out.

Cheers

:edited for spelling/grammatical errors
One boarder and one skier? I think we saw you yesterday about 2PM at the Sunrise parking lot, but I could be wrong. The snow was really great down to Forest Lake yesterday. And the weather couldn't have been better. 8)

author=Teleskichica link=topic=7503.msg29913#msg29913 date=1183352172]
One boarder and one skier? I think we saw you yesterday about 2PM at the Sunrise parking lot, but I could be wrong. The snow was really great down to Forest Lake yesterday. And the weather couldn't have been better. 8)

Nvy Blue Suburu.  I think maybe you guys were the ones we asked about the snow?  yeah, it was a grand couple days for sure!  Good turns to all who were out taking advantage!  Attached some pics...

and another...sorry 'bout quality...i'm handicap i swear when it comes to computers

Yes, you did ask us about the snow. We were kind of in a hurry to get out of the lot . . . can't imagine why.  ;) Glad you had a great day too.

Stugie,
Thanks for the beta. I tried some of the easiest access snow patches today to the south of Frozen Lake, coming in from below via the old road from Sunrise to Sunrise camp and up Wonderland Trail, and on the flank of the Burroughs.  The snow was great, the views were great, the sun was warm,  8)  the runs last about 20 seconds but no need for skins or anything when you can just hand carry up for laps with short turnaround time. I took my wife on this trip so she wouldn't get the search and rescue going this time if I was late, and she had a nice time glissading.

Glad it helped man!  Sounds like you guys took advantage of some of that nice snow still left!  Lap time rocked!  For sure!

Reply to this TR

6-30-7-1-freemont-area-mrnp
Stugie
2007-07-01 20:44:24