telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
05/21/19, 01:31 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2007 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  July 2007 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  6/30-7/1 Freemont Area - MRNP
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: 6/30-7/1 Freemont Area - MRNP  (Read 2861 times)
Stugie

6/30-7/1 Freemont Area - MRNP
« on: 07/01/07, 09:44 PM »

After many bc trips, this will be my first tr ever...on with the laughs.

My buddy Kyle and I decided last minute against surfing and to get some turns in around Berkeley Park/Freemont area near Sunrise.  Hiking in displayed in rich visuals all the lines still to be had (or had over as the case sometimes was).  Voting to try our luck at the north facing aspects of Freemont proved to be a lucky guess.  Both NW facing bowls on either side of the first, heavily pinnacled, rock prow held plenty of snow and some chutes still navagible (the one with the lake, and the one with the moraine remnants).  Some lines would even reach Forest Lake, although the steeper stuff called for shorter, more frequent laps.  Wish I knew the names of some of the particular lines in that area, sorry not more specific.

As forecasted, the clouds grew heavy but Rainier mangaed to block us from the weather.  Clouds ran in Sunday and stayed.  Snow conditions were slightly heavier than corn, but still very enjoyable.  Some of the lower areas were hard and troughed due to run-off.  Our route was basically Sunrise to the lookout, via laps up and down the freemont bowls and all around.  Sunset with clouds at around 10,000 made for an amazing finish to the day.  Sunrise with same conditions started things off well too.  Not to mention the 99% blood red moon that rose near 10:15 pm.  Today we ripped as many lines as possible, then back out to the car.  Yelled up to some people up near the lookout.  Looked like they were going to try dropping W on the ridge from the lookout.  Note: All sides accessible via Freemont Lookout are melted out.   Berkeley Park still had some nice looking runs as did the Burrows.  If you're really intent, Skyscraper Mtn. seemed to have some possible booty as well.  Intense sun (proven later by the sunburn on my chest and arms) and despite the clouds,  made some noticible changes in snowpack within the two days spent out.  I'm still going through pics, but here were a few I managed to pick out.

Cheers

:edited for spelling/grammatical errors
« Last Edit: 07/02/07, 07:26 AM by Stugie » Logged

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals; the houses where I practice my religion." - Anatoli Boukreev
Teleskichica

Re: 6/30-7/1 Freemont Area - MRNP
« Reply #1 on: 07/01/07, 09:56 PM »

One boarder and one skier? I think we saw you yesterday about 2PM at the Sunrise parking lot, but I could be wrong. The snow was really great down to Forest Lake yesterday. And the weather couldn't have been better. Cool

Livin' high on the cold smoke!
Stugie

« Reply #2 on: 07/01/07, 10:53 PM »

One boarder and one skier? I think we saw you yesterday about 2PM at the Sunrise parking lot, but I could be wrong. The snow was really great down to Forest Lake yesterday. And the weather couldn't have been better. Cool

Nvy Blue Suburu.  I think maybe you guys were the ones we asked about the snow?  yeah, it was a grand couple days for sure!  Good turns to all who were out taking advantage!  Attached some pics...

* Map.jpg (53.95 KB, 800x600 - viewed 573 times.)

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals; the houses where I practice my religion." - Anatoli Boukreev
Stugie

« Reply #3 on: 07/01/07, 10:59 PM »

another pic

* yeah.jpg (62.43 KB, 600x800 - viewed 569 times.)

Stugie

« Reply #4 on: 07/01/07, 11:10 PM »

and another...sorry 'bout quality...i'm handicap i swear when it comes to computers

* Kyle_shredding.jpg (90.12 KB, 530x800 - viewed 588 times.)

Teleskichica

« Reply #5 on: 07/02/07, 07:58 AM »

Yes, you did ask us about the snow. We were kind of in a hurry to get out of the lot . . . can't imagine why.  Wink Glad you had a great day too.

Livin' high on the cold smoke!
Don_B

« Reply #6 on: 07/08/07, 09:12 PM »

Stugie,
Thanks for the beta. I tried some of the easiest access snow patches today to the south of Frozen Lake, coming in from below via the old road from Sunrise to Sunrise camp and up Wonderland Trail, and on the flank of the Burroughs.  The snow was great, the views were great, the sun was warm,  Cool  the runs last about 20 seconds but no need for skins or anything when you can just hand carry up for laps with short turnaround time. I took my wife on this trip so she wouldn't get the search and rescue going this time if I was late, and she had a nice time glissading.
Stugie

« Reply #7 on: 07/09/07, 07:46 PM »

Glad it helped man!  Sounds like you guys took advantage of some of that nice snow still left!  Lap time rocked!  For sure!

Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.