Home > Trip Reports > Cooper Spur conditions?? June 07

Cooper Spur conditions?? June 07

6/15/07
Posted by snowfallin on 6/30/07 9:53am
Anyone been up to Cooper Spur lately? 

I read that the Eliot Glacier area/creek crossing is really sketch, so i'd stay away from snowdome.  Was thinking of driving up to Cloudcap tomorrow (july1) early morning and hiking up to tie in the rock for some laps on cooper spur ridge down to timberline trail. 
The dome is fine...return via Elliot and bliss will be had.  Did it well last weekend.  did not ski the Langalille bowls

snow line is pretty high....mostly above treeline...unless you've got the secret goods below the spur.

the spur looked good with one or so shots off the rim to lookers left.  check the conditions report and there is a nice photo of: Mr. Dome, Sir Elliot and King Spur that will give you a good visual of the goods.

Pin!

thanks Pin-head for the good beta!  Volcanogrrl and I are headed up there bright and early tomorrow morning.  What was the best time for snow conditions up there last weekend? 

For snowdome, is any more technical gear needed - ie crampons, ice axe. . .

We skied snowdome a week ago as well.  Awesome conditions overall.  The Eliiot creek washout is worth checking out -- pretty serious.  Just stay on the south side of it and head up the talus of the Eliot glacier until you hit the snowfields.  Stay climber's right and crevasse issues are minor.  There is a crevasse near the top of snowdome that had a very thin covering of snow and gave me a moment of concern.  My buddy was ahead of me and I was following in his bootback.  When I got to the crevasse the bootpack ended and there was a person-sized hole punching through the snowbridge.  Then I saw his prints traversing right.  I looked in the hole and it was deep.  Hopefully no one punched through.  At any rate, we just boot packed with the skis on our packs -- so you can get away with going light depending on what you're comfortable with.  At the very least, leave the skins.  We also avoided the Languille bowls, given the difficulty in crossing Eliot creek on the way back -- still a fine ski.  Given the warm temps, I'd leave the car by 9:00 am for optimal turns.

Reply to this TR

cooper-spur-conditions-june-07
snowfallin
2007-06-30 16:53:38