Home > Trip Reports > June 30, Sourdough Chutes, MRNP

June 30, Sourdough Chutes, MRNP

6/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by GregLange on 6/30/07 9:00am
Ah, the joys of turning 46.

Today was my birthday, and my family gave me the morning off to ski! I also had the great pleasure of introducing my friend Tamara to Turns-Without-Chairlifts on this trip. Fortunately, the Sourdough Chute area yielded VERY easy turns, under excellent sun, and with buttered cream corn as a running surface.

Arrived at the parking lot by 7:30 AM, and found EVERY single parking space was available. On with the gear, and up a whopping 250' vert gain in 10 mins. Skis on by 8 AM, and first run complete by 8:10. Bootpack was easy, and got 2 more runs in before our allotted departure time of 10:30 AM. Total vert was just over 1500, but the fun factor was immeasurable. Wished we could have stayed longer, but between my birthday party and her homelife calling, we called it a satisfying day. I hope the snowpack continues to diminish as slowly for the rest of the summer, because it looks like lots of good options well into July...
Happy Birthday! 
Did you start from the Sunrise parking lot or the sunshine point lot?

Happy birthday, Greg.
May your greatest aspirations become the least of your accomplishments in the coming year.
Nice to hear the snow is holding up at Sunrise.

Volcanogrl:
We started at the Lodge parking lot. My old age convinced my kid brain that the t4rek to Dege Peak was too tedious to justify the extra 500' of vert per run. However, the NE face of Dege looked tantalizing. Get it while it's still good!!!

Advice taken--skiied Dege today. Look for Ron J's or another party members later on, as I don't think I could justly describe it.  8)

Greg, I met you in the parking lot when you were on your way out and I was on my way in. 

You said that the snow was already mushy.  I hiked into 3rd Burroughs and had wonderful runs all day although it's a long way in.  It wasn't mushy.  No suncups or significant runnels.  Just to let everyone know, if you are willing to do the hike in 3rd Burroughs will probably be good a week or 2 more.

Reply to this TR

june-30-sourdough-chutes-mrnp
GregLange
2007-06-30 16:00:20