Home > Trip Reports > June 22-24, 2007, Summer Land

June 22-24, 2007, Summer Land

6/22/07
Posted by md2020 on 6/28/07 5:42am
this was the weekend of our annual guys only "spring" ski trip. The trip was a bit late this year due to a 2 week Alaska committment by myself and another member a couple weeks earlier, so finding a suitable venue was a bit trickier. Even though I'd never been there on skis or without, I suggested Summer Land and the rest of the group concurred. I arrived early to the park entrance and scored the group site with rights to the shelter. A few minutes later Frank and Tony arrived and we set out for the 4 mile hike up Frying Pan Crk trail. We arrived to camp about 2 hours later, set up camp and waited for the other 3 members to arrive. A couple hours later the 6 of us are on skis and exploring the area. Weather was dry and visibility was fine, but later in the afternoon a fog settled. Friday night brought rain and about an inch of new snow, then clear skies and cool temps Sat morning. Sat was bright and sunny nearly the whole day, with weather moving in again that evening. Hard rain most of Sat night and more snow Sunday morning. We did a quick 1200' run just up from the camp before heading out in deteriorating weather, which up to that pt had really cooperated.

Lots of big runnels on flatter slopes, but nice on steep north facing. Plenty of coverage. Shelter is excellent for cooking and hanging out, but use a tent for sleeping. Lots of mice, and we even had a pesky marmot climbing around inside.

Reply to this TR

june-22-24-2007-summer-land
md2020
2007-06-28 12:42:55