Home > Trip Reports > June 26, 2007, Interglacier, MRNP

June 26, 2007, Interglacier, MRNP

6/26/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Merk on 6/26/07 1:52pm
After seeing the perfect forecast for today, I got smart and called in sick to go ski the Interglacier.  I met Jay in The Claw and we were on the trail just before 8am.  The trail to Glacier Basin has improved quite a bit since my last visit in May.  At a decent pace we made GB at 9:20.  And then 1/4 mile beyond that we were on continuous snow.  A "short" 4 hrs of skinning later and we found ourselves on Steamboat Prow.  The glacier still has great coverage with 2 crevasses showing far right and far left at around 8500 ft.  Other than that, just nice creamy white stuff, a couple inches of new made for a very smooth descent.  There were several tracks on the Emmons.  We talked to a couple who skied from the summit, they say it's still in fine shape.  We were back at the car with cold beers waiting by 5pm.  I've been noticing that cold beers waiting in the car is quickly becoming a vital part of ski-touring these days.  All in all one fine day of June turns!
You, sir, are a genius. Why didn't that occur to me?  Well done!

and to think, I was in an office, staring at a computer screen... ouch.  Nicely played

A great day to be out for sure.  I think we saw you atop Steamboat Prow from our campsite on the Emmons Flats.?..our campsite is visible in your second photo (lower-right portion of the photo).  We didn't go for the summit, but enjoyed a nice run in the morning on the Emmons to climbers-right of The Corridor (the ski tracks visible near photo-center of your second photo).  Thanks for posting the pics, cool to see the reverse perspective from Steamboat Prow.  The Interglacier was still in nice shape overall during our ski down it later in the day (around 5:00).

Good to hear the trail has "improved".  Nice one. 

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I m still smiling today. Thanks for twisting my arm to use a sick of work day.

Just got around to resizing/posting some photos from the Emmons/Interglacier.
Had to burn some vacation time to break away from work for a couple of weekdays for this trip, but it was defintely well worth it  8). 

author=Merk link=topic=7480.msg29809#msg29809 date=1182919970]
  We were back at the car with cold beers waiting by 5pm.  I've been noticing that cold beers waiting in the car is quickly becoming a vital part of ski-touring these days.  

It's as vital as the skis.  ;D

Hey Cascadesfreak, looked like a fine spot you guys had on the Flats.  Staying the night up there must've increased the fun-factor quite a bit.  Nice tracks ya made and nice pics ya took!

Reply to this TR

june-26-2007-interglacier-mrnp
Merk
2007-06-26 20:52:50