Home > Trip Reports > June 1, 2003, Plummer Peak

June 1, 2003, Plummer Peak

6/1/03
Posted by ron j on 6/1/03 10:46pm
Jerry, Jeanette and yours truly had designs on the Nisqually chutes with backup thoughts of Plummer or Foss peaks if weather kept the N Chutes in hiding.
On our arrival at Paradise the ceiling had our first choice destination enshrouded.  No one seemed excited about skiing the first choice in the fog so it was on to plan B.  In the mean time,  Jerry, being a single guy, had been eyeballing a solo foxy looking female snowboarder that was gearing up for a hike in the parking lot.  Mad Dog and I were talking about inviting her along so Jerry could get to know her when we noticed this other, really cute little fox that was eyeballing Jerry (Jerry, being a tall and handsome guy) and just flat couldn't take her eyes off him!!
We managed to get a shot of this gorgeous creature just before she took off: http://community.webshots.com/photo/75347424/75347534KvwIyO

At any rate, after this failed attempt at matchmaking, we headed for the Tatoosh to have our way with Plummer and its associated chutes.
It seemed like a good day to follow the "climb what you ski" premise so we could evaluate the snow on the way up.  Thus we opted for a route over the ridge that would take us to the base of the 3 chutes below Plummer.
On our way over the ridge we encountered a startling phenomenon:  apparently the excess testosterone generated by Mad Dog's "Running with the Wolves" (i.e., hanging out with the guys), coupled with her Italian blood, had created this anomaly in her physiology:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/75347424/75347546qPoEnu

After recovering from that shock we booted it up Plummer Chute (the center one with the hourglass at the bottom) to the top of Plummer Peak and took a lunch break.
We saw no other people the entire day except for a large group of 10 or 15 climbers (Mounties?) we saw at in the distance during our lunch doing a scramble up the back side of Pinnacle.
After lunch we all had a great run down Plummer Chute.  Here's a shot of Mad Dog exiting the hourglass at the bottom:

Once at the bottom of Plummer Chute Mad Dog looks around and says "Let's do that one", pointing to the adjoining Denman Chute.  So up we go again, this time with Jerry laying down excellent Yeti size boot steps with his size 14's  ;).
Once down from Denman we headed back to the car.
Snow for the entire day was three inches of slush on top of a sturdy and stable base.  The slush would slough and hiss and chase you down the hill but was otherwise benign because there was nothing available for it to pick up.
Another great day skiing with great friends.

Jerry's shots of the trip are at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/75347424Vdvxbk
Mine are at:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/plummerpeak6103.msnw
Nice pics you guys! Looks like another great day.Funny I always thought that furry looking stuff was elk tissue paper.  ;)

Ron and Jerry, just to let you know, I'm back to normal today!!   ;D

Ron, you crack me up! Great report and it sounds like you guys had fun.

-k

Thanks again to Ron and Jeanette for sharing the best locations, and welcoming a relative newcomer to this very cool sport!   8)      JW

Robman - you may have something there.  That stuff MD had on her upper lip may have been Elk TP.  It smelled kinda funny after she threw it down.
Kam - We'd of had more fun if you guys 'd been along with you yelling "POINT "EM" all the time  :)
JW - All I can say is that for a "Rookie" you sure don't need much baby sitting.  Wish all the pilgrims were as self suficient as you.

Hey Ron

Great report, sounds like a great group of fun people I'd rather have a great group of folks rather than great snow and when you have both................ ;D

How's the snow holding up over toward the cowlitz rocks  area? thinking of a solo trip there on Thur, also a question where did you start your trailhead for Plummer peak? is the road to Reflection lakes open ?? how about Stevens canyon road??  Thanks for the info

Charles W

Yeah, Charles, it doesn't get any better than "Both".  :D
Three weeks ago when we did the Paradise Gl there was plenty of snow at Cowlitz Rocks.  Gary and Dorothea did the PG last week (less than two weeks after we did) and the cracks on the PG were already opening up.  But no mention of low snow coverage yet.
We started our climb to Plummer from Reflection Lakes.
Looks like you'll have great weather for your trip this week.  Stay safe.
rj

Hey Ron, Jeanette

the photos look great!

and I am supposed to sit in my office now and finish a draft report...

any hopes for an extended trip around July 5?

oh, my wife saw the emergency fire starting kit and got upset, big time... took me a while to deal with the situation, the fact that i'd be going with you helped :)

Of course, the shovel / probe combo is getting delivered to the office and i am not bringing it home

more power to you
ivo

any hopes for an extended trip around July 5?

Kinda early to say, yet, mate.  Depends on the weather, access participants, and so on...  What ever we do it'll proly be more fun than skiing the mountains of Florida, though  ;)

oh, my wife saw the emergency fire starting kit and got upset, big time... took me a while to deal with the situation, the fact that i'd be going with you helped :)
Of course, the shovel / probe combo is getting delivered to the office and i am not bringing it home

You're playing with fire, there, mate.
Better turn her into a backcountry skier post haste or you're liable to be surfing for telebabes on telemark tips  ???

Ron,

there's no way my wife goes backcountry. she loves groomed runs only. also, i used to carry her skis around when we skied together... i've heard that for backcountry it's pretty hard to haul your own gear, especially at high elevations, hehehe

As for telebabes - this is funny because my wife gave me quite a look when she saw that I bought a pair of Patagonia capilene boxers. She dismissed all my "Cotton kills" quotes and seems to think i am renewing my intimate wardrobe for some hot (or maybe cold?) action.

Reply to this TR

june-1-2003-plummer-peak
ron j
2003-06-02 05:46:43