Home > Trip Reports > 6-22-07, Notchtop Couloir (12,149), RMNP, CO

6-22-07, Notchtop Couloir (12,149), RMNP, CO

6/22/07
US elsewhere
Posted by MW88888888 on 6/25/07 12:02pm
Day 52
6-22-07
Notchtop Couloir (12,149), RMNP, CO

Alyson: "Your brother's whole family will be visiting for only one day and you want to go skiing?"
Me: "Well...yeah." 

Wayne and I met Sean at 4:20 am in the Bear Lake parking lot.  It was going to be in the 90's down in town and the lot was already comfortable. 

We hit the bone dry trail and walked a good 2 miles before we hit snow, near the "Intermediate" run off Flattop Mountain.  Our goal was the Ptarmigan Cirque, and from there a choice of couloirs.  I wanted the sinuous N couloir off Flattop, the Notchtop as runner up, and the Ptarmigan Glacier as boobie prize. 

After 3 miles the Ptarmigan cirque came into view - and mouths drooled.  Especially
Wayne who, living in Vermont, hadn't ridden in nearly two months (but was clocking Day 63, thankyouverymuch).  While the couloirs off the Ptarmigan cirque were surprisingly inviting, the N couloir was melted out.  Notchtop Couloir still looked fat, and with the morning sun and warmth, was in ideal condition.  We strapped on crampons and began the climb. 

The couloir was touted as one of the most spectacular of the Front Range and one could see why.  Steep, narrow and slightly twisted, it was devine climbing for 1,200 VF, with a consistent pitch of 45 degrees.  Near the cornic at the top, it cruxed out at 50 degrees.  We summited at 7:55 am in blue bird weather.  There wasn't a long linger and we dropped in one at a time. 

I went first and kicked off a large, slow moving slough that cleared off the steep cornice pitch at the top, and oozed its way to a stop along the edge of the couloir below.  From there it was devine corn and sun, racing down to the glacial tarn below.

After two more patches and a couple hundred feet more of skiing, we reached the shores of Lake Helen (10,400).  From there we put the skis on the pack and endured the 3 mile gauntlet of inquisitive tourists back to Bear Lake TH.  In the hour it took to reach the car, storm clouds gathered all around.  Lightning flashed nearby and thunder began to roll.  While the throngs continued out into the bush, our party sought refuge in our cars, just as the rain began. 

Summer had begun. 

Nice pic. of the turn, perpindicular to the fall-line!

That ascent looked pretty steep. Isn't there an easier route? Anyway, nice rpt.

Reply to this TR

6-22-07-notchtop-couloir-12-149-rmnp-co
MW88888888
2007-06-25 19:02:35