Home > Trip Reports > June 24, Sourdough Chutes Magnum Tour

June 24, Sourdough Chutes Magnum Tour

6/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JibberD on 6/24/07 2:52pm
Great to be back in the PNW with friends and on skis in the backcountry. 

So cool to be engulfed in a snowstorm in late June with Scotsman, Blitz and Jason.  Yes, it really snowed on us today (much better than rain).

Having been in Berlin, Germany for the past year, getting back into MRNP was really special for me today.  Show me all the incredible history and culture that Europe has to offer...it doesn't envigorate and inspire me like a ski tour in the Cascades with friends.  Good to be home!

This was my first trip to the Sourdough Chutes so I can't name the three we skied suffice it to say that we hit the first chute above the lodges then worked our way along the ridge and ended up at Dege Peak for our third and final descent.  By the last run at Dege, enough snow had accumulated (1-3 inches) to gently sluff down the 35-40 degree slope.  No danger here though on a very consolidated snow pack.
Yo Doug!

Good to have you back enjoying the PNW mountains!
A great choice for a great taste of lines while you're in town.  You were well advised to pick the scottsman for your tour guide.

It will be good to have you back when your euro tour is over.

I see google denies you the hot links -- that's such a pain; the group pic was especially fun.

Dougie, I cant get the pics to open, they are just red X's on my computer. :'(

Nice to be with you Jibber and Jason. We sure do miss you.

What  a difference in 24 hrs. The day before ,Silas,Sidnie and I had been applyiing sunscreen and trying to talk Silas out of skiing a chute naked. ;)
The next day, I'm wet , cold and shivering in a snow storm.

The narrow chutes are going fast but it's still holding up and there wil be skiing at Sunrise for a while longer.
Best of luck Doug on your next year in Germany.

Touring with Jibbee---yippee

Hi all!

Yes, a great day indeed on some impressive lines.

Sorry about the photo troubles.  I loaded them this second time directly to the TAY site and they're thumbnails...  But that will have to do for now due to time constraints.  We're in scramble mode to get things together to head back to Berlin on Saturday.

Good to hear from you RonJ and telemack.  Definitely looking forward to getting back here full-time for some adventures out with you guys.  Jen's folks have a place on Hood Canal with a view into the Olympics.  Got any ideas Mack?  It looks good over there to me.

Thanks for a super day Chris, Alisa and Jason.

Hi Doogie!

It was really nice being in a snow storm on the first weekend of summer - and with great company. Weather is kinda getting in the way of climbing season, but the skiing is to die for 8)

Great TR.

Alisa

Reply to this TR

june-24-sourdough-chutes-magnum-tour
JibberD
2007-06-24 21:52:18