Home > Trip Reports > June, wk.4 -- 'Alone on Lassen'

June, wk.4 -- 'Alone on Lassen'

6/15/07
US elsewhere
Posted by skimtner on 6/24/07 7:49am
  Residing between the Sierra, & the Southern Cascades, I decided to give Lassen a try on Sat. The weather down here was about ideal - avg. temps. with SW winds @ 25 - 35. The view up to the "Masta" (Shasta) was crisp. At one spot on the summit, the crater frames Shasta perfectly!
  Looking down from the mountain, one gets a great view of Lake Helen, which was still half frozen. Pretty amazing for 8,000'. Nice color also.
  My route was up the main summer trail to the summit, 10,500'. This takes 2 hours. There is a rock-pile that forms the actual high-point. It's pretty easy to get to the Northeast part of the peak where the entrance area for the Northeast Chutes are. One can almost see the pitch, but all you need to do is click in and slide over for a look-see.
  I was stoked -- as the surface had a clean look to it, for the start of summer. I've skii'd this before but it's been awhile. I measured the top at 40 degrees and it went to 35  degrees for the mid-section. I probably went about 700' vert. I booted back up as there is no snow down in the flats. I then did another quick lap of 350' vert.
  I said earlier I was alone but there were some large flocks of butterflies, I guessed they liked the "sweet corn". I then ate lunch at the top with the Shasta view. My run back down adjacent to the summer trail was pretty runneled yet it was ridable, even on my 'firn glider' Salomon Snowblades.

Thanks...

Reply to this TR

june-wk-4-alone-on-lassen
skimtner
2007-06-24 14:49:54