Home > Forum > Magnesium Fire Starter any good?

Magnesium Fire Starter any good?

• izlat
  • [izlat]
More
31 May 2003 17:48 #168291 by izlat
Magnesium Fire Starter any good? was created by izlat
Hello all<br><br>I have a question about one of my latest purchases. The guy at the local store sold me a magnesium fire starting kit - you shave it, then strike the thing with your knife to get a spark and light the shavings. how good is this for emergency fires if I am forced to spend the night out in the Cascades?<br><br>After I bought it, i read the instructions (i wish it were the other way in the sequence:(! SO it turns out it would start a fire with damp stuff but not wet stuff. My concern is that most likely I would only get wet wood so my kit would be useless. Am I right? What is the best fire starter and where to get it?<br><br>By the way, I was really surprised the outfitters did not have strike anywhere matches. what good are waterproof matches if you can't strike 'em anywhere?<br><br>thank you<br>ivo<br><br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2003 18:36 #168293 by sag
Replied by sag on topic Re: Magnesium Fire Starter any good?
i know this is not the most green friendly advice but i needed a way to recycle all the bicycle inertubes i go through and a 1 inch square of tube even in a downpour lit wet wood without fail.and weighs nothing in a pack.

• izlat
  • [izlat]
More
02 Jun 2003 01:07 #168294 by izlat
Replied by izlat on topic Re: Magnesium Fire Starter any good?
sag<br><br>thank you for the info. i have also thought if i can use the inner tubes once i'm done with (riding) them. I plan to use it only in a real emergency, which should minimize the "green-unfriendliness" but i need it to work. It's curious why the tube is such a good fire starter...<br><br>Cheers<br>ivo