Home > Trip Reports > June 20, 2007, Baker-Coleman

June 20, 2007, Baker-Coleman

6/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Rich_B on 6/21/07 2:18am
Nick and I hiked up next to Grouse Ck in the old growth forest.  We were surprised at not reaching snow until 4500ft.  Skinned to 6600ft, before traversing to the Coleman Gl.  We found good snow coverage on the glacier.  However, we also encountered gale force winds from 9000ft to the summit plateau.  The ski down the Roman Wall to the saddle near Colfax Peak was super.  Even the ski down to the climbers trail was ok.  Except for the mistake of skiing into the drainage east of the trail, this was a great trip.
They say that is it a sign of insanity to repeat the same behavior and expect a different outcome.

About a month ago I skinned up the C-D on a sunny Tuesday following a snow storm on Sunday and a broken clouds Monday.  I was hoping for pow on the Roman Wall and corn below.  What I found was pebbled ice above the saddle, breakable crustd to the Grouse Chutes and sticky slime from there to the bottom.

Two days ago, Tuesday, I skinned up the C-D after a snowy Sunday and broken clouds Monday -- same conditions -- and found wind compacted pow above the saddle and delightful corn below all the way to the brush at the bottom of the Grouse Chutes.

Go figure!

I was anticipating a relaxing lunch on top and corn on the Wall on the way down.  With no place to get out of the wind, I had a quick bite to eat and headed down in what seemed to be fresh snow on a carvable base.  Sometimes you get lucky with conditions.  When it's clear out, as it was on Wednesday, the views are extraordinary, although sometimes brief.

Yeah, but Tim, the weather never behaves.  So many variables in the mountain weather.

Reply to this TR

june-20-2007-baker-coleman
Rich_B
2007-06-21 09:18:53