Home > Trip Reports > June 19, 2007, Sourdough Chutes, Sunrise MRNP

June 19, 2007, Sourdough Chutes, Sunrise MRNP

6/19/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Lisa on 6/20/07 8:46am
Michael and I had a great time skiing the sourdough chutes area.  We dropped into the first line just west of Antler peak, then made 3 more runs down various chutes of which I do not know the names.
It was some fantastic skiing and although short runs, they were steep enough to entertain and keep us smiling.
That was great fun and thanks for waiting for me.  Next time I think it would be a good idea to do the west more open slopes first then work back to the east where the snow is more shaded by cliffs to avoid the afternoon "hissy fits". Here are some pictures

"Skins, don't  fail me now"

Focus management

surfs up

Lisa, are those parallel turns you are making on tel gear. ::) you will be banned from the knee droppers club if you continue that. ;D Nice report , glad you had a great day.

She was just doing it in solidarity with her fixed heel friend.  Pretty damn nice turns, though, for someone wearing tennis shoes with bungee cords for bindings.

Chris, I know you are envious because you struggle to ski parallel in fixed heel  ;) but really, poking fun at a tele chic.....hmmmm ::)

Can't help it Lisa, I'm jealous that your parallel tele looks so much better than my fixed heel parallel.  :'(Based upon what I saw on Wednesday, a lot of snow melted but I think it will still be good for this weekend and Denge peak looked really nice.
With the weather forcast being what it is, Sunrise still looks like a good bet for this weekend.

Chris,
Tell us about "bloody Wednesday" Sounds like you guys had a memorable time. 

Michael

Well Michael, the story goes like this. Sid and I had skied a couple of chutes and I had my eye on one that involved some downclimbing to get to the snow. It was steep, scree covered and slippery. I was working my way down to the top of the chute when I managed to get the tip of my ski pole lodged into a crevice. At that moment I stumbled a little  downwards causing the pole to bend like an bow. It suddenly released and smacked me in the nose so hard it nearly knocked me backwards. It was a really hard blow and blood spurted straight out of my nose and I was pretty stunned for a few seconds . I told Sid " I think I broke my nose".

I am still surprised I didn't heel over backwards and slide down the chute it was so hard a blow. That would have been total foolishness;  to hit yourself in the head and then take a ride.

After copious bleeding and using Sid's bandanna to staunch the flow, the chute was skied and the day continued ,albeit with a rather sore nose!( It was not broken.)
This particular chute will always be Bloody Wednesday Chute:  to me anyhow. ;D

Reply to this TR

june-19-2007-sourdough-chutes-sunrise-mrnp
Lisa
2007-06-20 15:46:22