Home > Trip Reports > June 18, 2007, - Sourdough Chutes - Sunrise

June 18, 2007, - Sourdough Chutes - Sunrise

6/18/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by powdrx on 6/20/07 3:44am
Adding another TR to for this area.  Doug and I went out Monday with a brighter forecast than the weekend.  Neither of us had been there before so we followed the tracks up to the chutes between Antler and Pk 6591(?) and took a couple laps down.  We then went up the chute off Pk 6591, which I think is "Fear Factor".  Great boot paths where in place for both chutes.  FF was a great chute!!!  The snow was holding really well and we rocked all the way down.  We sat for some lunch back on the trail and waited for a group of 3 to finish the boot up after skiing FF.  We met Zap, Joe and Carol.  Turns out Joe had put in the boot paths we used so we thanked him!!  Thanks again!!  This crew of Sourdough Vets let Doug and I tag along as we skiied two more chutes down the ridge enroute to Dege Peak.  The sun that had warmed up the snow earlier was now hidden in an ever lowering cloud over the area.  Had a snack break on Dege in a nice fog, but we could still see the way.  We dropped into the NE Face and had a great ride down into the valley.  AWESOME!!!  Made it down to the hairpin quickly on snow and trail!!  6 chutes, 3670vert, 3 great guides!!  Thanks a bunch guys!!  If we don't see ya before, see ya next year in the chutes!!!
Doug, throw up some pics!!!
Thanks for the excellent tour of the area guys! We were pretty impressed with the quality of the lines and the amount of coverage. I'm definitely hoping to get back up there soon -- looks like lots of cool terrain to explore.

Unfortunately, no brats were consumed afterwards. An unfortunate omission, but the skiing was good enough that we weren't too sad  :)

Here are a few pics:

1. Skinning up above Sunrise towards Antler Peak. It was pretty clear in the morning, but the clouds at the left eventually rolled over the ridge.
2. Aaron skiing Fear Factor. Perfect corn!
3. One of our "guides", Joe, makings some sweet tele turns below Dege.

Is this photo evidence that I see
of Joedabaker droppin' the knee?  ;D

jodebaker on Sunday. Stylin'.

author=telemack link=topic=7432.msg29637#msg29637 date=1182374397">
Is this photo evidence that I see
of Joedabaker droppin' the knee?  ;D

Temps start rising and the knee starts dropping.  I guess the secret is out huh...

There are more pictures at my new Tips n' Tales weblog.
Thanks for posting the report and pics Aaron and Doug. I took some video on the camera, but have not figured out how to link that up yet. Good to meet you and thanks for the company.
Joe

Nice report Aaron and Doug. It was a fun day skiing with all these kids. Yeah Joe, I put you in that category.  Our first descent was in Fear Factor and it was great to have Carol jump right in to become what I call "the skimmer".  Skimmers are usually required during late spring/early summer tours when the slopes are a bit lumpy and have a bit of debris.  The skimmer makes first tracks, smoothes the surface, identifies rocks and other debris and communicates the info to the more senior members of the team that are available for any rescue operations.  Now Carol was an enthusiastic skimmer, but she skis so fast and such tight turns that she carves versus skims the snow surface.  I could tell there is a ski racing background in her gene pool.  I looked at Joe and asked "where's the skim" he smiled and shrugged his shoulders.   It was a great line with a peppering of small rocks which were easily avoided. 

Now when we met Aaron and Doug, I was really impressed that these guys were more than willing to skim the surface.  You guys did a wonderful job for a senior citizen.  Joe,  thanks for capturing on film the few remaining hairs I have left. 

Reply to this TR

june-18-2007-sourdough-chutes-sunrise
powdrx
2007-06-20 10:44:42