Home > Trip Reports > June 2, 2007, Crater Lake National Park

June 2, 2007, Crater Lake National Park

6/2/07
OR elsewhere
Posted by stoudema on 6/18/07 6:19am
Apologies for the late trip report.  Loofus and I headed to Crater Lake on June 2nd to get our turns in for the month.  We were greeted by a great lightning show on Friday night that went on for nearly 5 hours. 

We awoke about 4:30 Saturday morning and started hiking up the hill.  Snow started around 6500 feet.  Nearly 3 hours later we arrived at the top of Mt Scott.  Beautiful views were the reward.  We could see the 3 Sisters, Bachelor, Broken Top, Thielsen and Bailey to the north, and McLoughlin to the south. 

After some lounging taking in the views and some coffee, the ride down was a little slushy but still fast.  The upper bowl was nice and we got in about 2500 vertical.  The hike out was a mosquito crazed event.  All told, my wife counted 83 mosquito bites on my arms and back (that was with applying OFF every hour!).  The snow is probably shot by now - the Crater Lake website was reporting 12 inches at the lodge when we went (the average for that time of year is 50 inches).  I'd like to go back next year with more snow...........
did you drive to Mt Scott? Isn't the road on that side of the lake usually still closed?

We came in from east side off Hwy 97.  Here's a trip report from Amar in 2003 where I got the idea............we basically replicated his route.......

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=791.0

Reply to this TR

june-2-2007-crater-lake-national-park
stoudema
2007-06-18 13:19:37