telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
10/17/17, 10:40 PM

Snohomish County
Volunteer Search & Rescue Team

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2007 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  May 2007 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  Memorial Day weekend 2007 on Meade Glacier
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Memorial Day weekend 2007 on Meade Glacier  (Read 2334 times)
Volcanogrrl

Memorial Day weekend 2007 on Meade Glacier
« on: 06/18/07, 09:50 AM »

Technically this was a Hummel trip, but... I'll post my little TR up here.  Please bear in mind that Em and I are beginners, myself especially, so my perspective is tainted by lack of experience.  Ok, on with the drama.  Smiley
I'll keep it short.
For a slideshow: ~clicky clicky~
Here are some highlights:
"Yeah, it was tough going, lots of windfall in there"
That was what my friend told me when I asked for some info about getting in to Meade Glacier.
My friend Emily and I were going to meet with some folks up at Meade for Memorial Day weekend. She and I had never been there. We left Friday night around 7:00. LOTS of windfall, going was pretty tough. We hiked 'til we lost the trail. Then camped. Apparently our camp was located in the heart of "mutant human-eating elk" territory. I think the elk actually jumped our tent in the middle of the night.
Bridges that weren't washed out were piled with logs like some drunken beaver had tried to build a dam.
"If you don't know where their camp is, you probably won't find them all weekend."
That was the other bit of info my "source" offered. Find the camp? We couldn't even find the friggin' trail. Did I mention windfall? Yeah, it got a lot worse in the daylight.
I said, "Climb UP the waterfall!"
Those were the words spoken to us when we hooked up with the rest of the crew for the hike in. Yeah, just shimmy up that waterfall, that's exactly what he said and meant. Em and I had some serious doubts at that point. But, since we didn't know the other folks very well, we decided to sack up and act like we did this all the time. Sure.
It's Taco Time!
We forgot to pack toilet paper. We noticed this oversight at the trailhead and rummaged through my glovebox to find a bunch of random stuff and Taco Time napkins! A whole bunch! From there on out, all potty breaks have been referred to as "Taco Time".
The rest was gravy
What a great trip with a great group, and as you can see in the photos, BEAUTIFUL weather. The snow was nice, a bit heavy in the afternoon, but still super fun. And skinning around up there was just wonderful. The dogs had a blast. They were so worn out that they took a nap with us in the tent on Sunday afternoon.
HUGE thanks to the Hummels for letting us tag along, you guys are the best!
Help, I'm trapped in a giant accordian and can't get out!
The wind picked up Sunday evening, and brought with it snow. I kinda hung out in the tent, just to anchor it down. The wind continued until about 6 am. The tent walls heaved and whipped and caved in on us all night long, i was pretty sure the whole thing'd collapse on us and suffocate us. It was a Lawrence Welk nightmare, like being trapped in a giant accordian.
Coming down was easy
We hiked out Monday morning with a couple of the guys who wanted to get home early. Em had to catch a plane, and we were both concerned how long the hike out could take.
We skied down a fair way and managed a much easier route than having to come back down the dang waterfall. Then we totally said "screw it" for the trail and just made a bee-line for the vicinity of the parking lot. This worked out great and we had no real problems with brush or windfall or anything.
What a super trip, beautiful place, good times. No "scarpa girl" photos on this trip, for some reason... perhaps this weekend. We sure like that tradition though, and I hope the original TeleChicas (of telemarktips fame) don't mind if we've a) totally adopted it and b) are even recruiting more women to the cause!

"Life is short and hard, like a bodybuilding elf."  bloodhound gang.
Jason_H.

Re: Memorial Day weekend 2007 on Meade Glacier
« Reply #1 on: 06/18/07, 11:40 AM »

He, he...glad that you guys had fun. We had 12 people show up this year which was a good showing for this annual trip of white pass regulars.

Bahyoe
1Member

« Reply #2 on: 06/24/07, 09:51 PM »

Nice photos! I remember too well the crawling under and over fallen trees. Also the water fall, hope to see you again.
Volcanogrrl

« Reply #3 on: 06/25/07, 09:54 AM »

Bayhoe, it was great to hang out with you up there!  Hope to see you lots this winter, if not before!

"Life is short and hard, like a bodybuilding elf."  bloodhound gang.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.