Home > Forum > Freeride / extreme movies and avalanches

Freeride / extreme movies and avalanches

• izlat
  • [izlat]
More
30 May 2003 03:34 #168286 by izlat
hi all :)<br><br>I was watching some movies and photos and now that I am trying to learn about avalanches and read stuff on the subject, it would seem that many of the areas these guys ride have very high potential for avalanches. I mean you see them on top of a cornice, going down a steep couloir with no opportinity to exit to the side, etc. is there something wrong with my perception or these guys just don't care about avalanches??? Maybe the pressure to sell / advertise makes them take such risks? Or maybe they have a crew ready to get them out if something goes wrong??? Or they are just nutts<br><br>I partially understand them, I like a steep line with 2+ feet of pristine powder more than the next guy but I also have a wife and kid...<br><br>Yesterday i was going through an avalanche safety handbook, Craig Kelly was mentioned in the tributes... He was suposedly the best, riding with the best guide (Ruedi)... Ruedi basically just said it was a freak accident and all his analysis before showed no danger... Do you guys think they really should have separated in more groups and put more distance between them?<br><br>Anyway, just sitting at work dreaming about powder again<br><br>cheers<br>ivo<br><br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• peaceriver
  • [strider]
More
30 May 2003 14:19 #168288 by peaceriver
Replied by peaceriver on topic Re: Freeride / extreme movies and avalanches
questions questions<br><br> Telemarktips website has some opinions on the Rudie issue under a discussion labled "whitewash"<br><br> The other issues are judgements one has to follow your own path and make your own decisions, hopefully educated onesMy wife and child as well as my older age certainly quides my decisions in a different direction than 20 ears ago..<br><br>cheers

• izlat
  • [izlat]
More
31 May 2003 17:37 #168290 by izlat
hi strider<br><br>i remember i've seen some pictures of you riding in the photo galleries - looking pretty good :)<br><br>thanks for the tip - i had read the piece in the magazine. but the TT discussion was much more helpful!<br>cheers<br>ivo