Home > Trip Reports > May 3, 2003, Cutthroat Peak Notch

May 3, 2003, Cutthroat Peak Notch

5/3/03
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by ema on 5/29/03 12:53am
Whoops, forgot about this one, and for good reason; I thought I was going to die! Not from climbing or skiing, but my allergic reaction to Sulfa Drugs....This trip was originally planned as a traverse from Rainy Pass to Cutthroat Pass, and down to Cutthroat Campground. But my upset stomach, onset of rash, ligtheadedness, and fear of passing out kept us closer to the road....We ascended the drainage just S.-East of Porcupine Cr., directly under and West of Cutthroat Peak. Snowpack was well frozen, remember that?, and the small but steep sided drainage felt safe, even with large cornices looming, and slide debris everywhere....Climbed up through a short couloir, putting Karl and I onto a bench where we skinned the remainder of the ascent. We topped out at 7600', in a notch with a nice rock spire, and rappel slings (to Cutthroat Lk. basin), near and below Cutthroat Peak. I felt like HELL, but somehow managed to enjoy the view of Silver Star and the Spires to the East and Black Peak and beyond directly across the way....Skiing felt good, even for my hammered body. Snow was just turning to corn.....I had to sleep after that much excitement, while Karl ate, and pet Kota...After this, we skinned up a ridge and peered over cornices into the Porcupine Cr. drainage, which we could see as a long, treed, gradual ascent. Cutthroat Pass was blocked from view behind the Molar Tooth....Snow at this point became deeper mush, so we skied it fast with the floaters and got another 1000' of turns for the day....Forest travel to the truck at Rainy Pass.....P.S. the rash intensified later that evening, leading to a few days of what looked like blotchy measels and a wicked itch.....Damn glad thats over!!!!! ;D Hope this post makes it into order (date)somehow.
Your description of the Porcupine drainage is correct.  There is a short step up if you choose to start off the road close to where the creek intersects rt20 and then the trail really levels off, almost all the way to just below the pass.  On the other hand the travelling is relatively fast.  I generally left the road at 8AM and was at the pass by 10:30, so there is plenty of time in a day to explore the large numbers of skiable acres.

I have to say that after doing some yo-yo skiing on the slopes just to the North and West of the pass that the descents are not huge.  It might be possible to come off of pk7552 and get maybe 1500 ft vertical of continuous.  I did mostly shorter runs just to explore.  

The level conditions once off the slopes makes for a bit more work getting back to the road.  It would be nice to cruise lazily, but I generally have to do a little up and down here and there trying to stay away from the creek.

Also, I posted a couple of weeks ago about climbing the southern subsidiary basin of Porcupine Creek.  Just the one ridge separating that basin and the one you describe.  Judging from the contours on my map it looks like the route you took would be much more fun.

Alan

Reply to this TR

may-3-2003-cutthroat-peak-notch
ema
2003-05-29 07:53:25