Home > Trip Reports > June 10, Paradise Area

June 10, Paradise Area

6/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Scotsman on 6/11/07 12:11am
Michael and I decided to brave the rigours of the PNW and started up for Muir at about 9.45. We met some climbers who said the sun was shining at 7,300 ft so we continued up in "full conditions". We next met a pair of climbers who said the sun was at 8,000 ft but that Muir was frozen and they had hiked down in crampons. Upwards we went and at 7,00 ft we met another RMI guide who said the sun was now at the Muir level and that it was the first time he had ever worn crampons down from Muir.  :(The weather was getting nastier so we turned around. At the base of the summer route at Pan Point we put on our skis expecting to be skunked but then I had an idea and headed off to the steep slope that drops down into Edith Basin from near the base of Pan point.

Nice steep ski on good snow down into Edith basin so we headed over to the top of Bundy's. Bundy's skied really well down to the Paradise loop road . From there skinned up to Mazama ridge and dropped into the Mazama bowl which was a bit soft and grabby but still well covered. Nice ski back down to the road and a road hike back up to the parking lot.

A surprisingly good day skiing less than a mile from the parking lot while the upper mountain was being battered. Skiing down to the Paradise road  when it was open to traffic was a first for me and there is still plenty snow over there and the snow is getting well consolidated. ;D
Glad you got out and got some goods out of what looked like a questionable day. The only vert I got was working with/on a ladder.

Sounds good Chris.  Let's hope some of that snow sticks around for awhile ;)

So, corn in Edith and Mazama bowl was the deal?  Sounded OK.
BTW, Chris, this week I'm checking the forecast for the Baker area.

It wasn't corn Telemack but the steep stuff skied Okakdokey. It was good to get out on an iffy day. MAN I LOVE MY DYNAFITS  WHY DIDN"T I CONVERT YEARS AGO!

Chris,
So, that's where we went.  ;) Its good to go out with a  "Paradise Veteran"
And, its always a good lesson to experience the mountains when exposed to the "full rigours of the North Pacific".  As for your gear, next time we'll have to swap. Then you can experience the joys of Goodes.

Reply to this TR

june-10-paradise-area
Scotsman
2007-06-11 07:11:18