Home > Trip Reports > June 8, 2007, Camp Muir and Nisqually chute

June 8, 2007, Camp Muir and Nisqually chute

6/8/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 6/9/07 1:35am
With the rainy weekend forecast I made a last-minute decision to go skiing Friday and work later. I got the okay from my wife and left Seattle after dropping off my son at school. Drove to Paradise and parked in the "Remote Parking" lot near the construction site in the fog. This was my first trip to Rainier since the reopening, and I haven't been paying much attention to the parking situation. It seemed like other day-trippers were parking there, but it wasn't clear to me whether it was okay.

Left the parking lot a little before 12:30 p.m. and skinned east of Alta Vista towards Panorama Point. Ran into Mike H., lead guide of our
Oh yeah, on the drive around the loop road below Edith Creek I saw a large fox on the road. I hit the brakes and he wandered off. I can't recall seeing one before.

There are at least two foxes (one almost black, one gray/red) that have been "working" the Paradise parking lot for the last couple of years, using the "i'll look cute and stand still, you throw me some junk food" strategy. Last time I was there in May one of them set up shop in front of my car and I couldn't leave the parking lot until all the tourists had gotten their pictures.

By the way, for you parents out there, I tried saying "Swiper, no swiping!", and that was ineffective...

We also saw it last weekend in the Paradise parking lot when we returned from Little Tahoma.

Reply to this TR

june-8-2007-camp-muir-and-nisqually-chute
Lowell_Skoog
2007-06-09 08:35:18