Home > Trip Reports > June 3, 2007, Paradise Glacier-Cowlitz Rocks

June 3, 2007, Paradise Glacier-Cowlitz Rocks

6/3/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JMor on 6/4/07 7:00am
Whew, it was a really BIG day for the €œGeezers€, after a report from Robie about pollen problems on the Unicorn, Ron and I decided to head to the Paradise Glacier and surrounding area.  Our thinking was to head higher above tree line and above the €œdreaded€ pollen problem  >:(.  We parked at the lower Paradise parking and lined up with the 4th crossing trail for our return ski directly to the car.  We skinned up Bundy€™s with great snow and no pollen problems yet, crossed over to the Golden Gate slope and continued the up-climb.  Several marmots were out this morning, sunbathing, gathering food and enjoying the day as much as we were.  One Marmot was busy nibbling the foliage a fair distance from his home when suddenly a coyote burst through the bushes and the chase was on.  Snow was flying and feet were just a blur, at the last second as the coyote came down with jaws wide open ready for the final pounce, the marmot was knocked off balance but managed to slip into his burrow as the coyote tumbled with a triple somersault down the slope.  Marmot-1, coyote-0.  We watched as the coyote picked himself up rushed back to the opening was looking and sniffing around and when nothing happened piddled on the marmot hole.  My next thought was, gee, I hope that coyote isn€™t so hungry its now going to think we look mighty tasty.   I let Ron continue on first ;).  Our going was still flawless, (no pollen) we passed McClure rock, Sugarloaf, and watched the hoard of people on the Muir snowfield from our vantage on the Paradise Glacier side, stopping at the base of Anvil Rock for a short break before we de-skinned and started down the PG skiers left with beautiful snow and wonderful views.  We continued down, watching for crevasse openings, skipped the cliffs, and skipped the crevasses that were starting to open, continued on skiing the Cowlitz area, then down the Paradise Glacier moraine heading out towards Mazama and the 4th crossing when suddenly we came to a screeching halt with the dreaded pollen gunk problem >:(.  We scraped and scraped and when we thought we had a nice slippery base we were off just to be stuck again within 100 feet >:(.  Unlatching the heels and doing the kick and glide method worked very well.  We finally made it to the top of the Mazama Ridge, traversing to the steep west facing slopes above the lower Paradise road. This particular slope was steep enough with fantastic ski conditions that we had no more pollen problems  :D.  In normal conditions this last section usually takes us about 20 minutes, but today ended up taking over an hour.  All in all the day was fantastic, and the €œGeezers€ made it home before the day pass ran out  ;).
Thought I'd best post a photo or two to corroborate the MadDog's report:

Here's a shot of Wiley staring down the hole of his lost breakfast:

Here's one of the MadDog having her way with the Glacier:

And one of the only folks we saw on the PG the entire tour, a distant quartet up on "The Edge" enhancing our "margarita break" view from the bottom of Cowlitz Rocks:

Most likely some folks seeking better snow on their meander down from Muir.

A fine day it was.  But for those shooting for "Skip the Cliffs" the season's near done; the holes are opening and they are very hard to spot from above.  And at a 48 degree pitch all but the most brave, talented or foolhearty spend a lot of time with their boards across the fall line, which happens to line up nicely with the rapidly emerging slots  ;)

More photos HERE.

Nice report and great photos!!
If it was taken in late afternoon (after 4 or so) those four people might have been my group. After lazing around at Muir we considered skiing down part of the Paradise glacier, following the same path as I had earlier in the week with dkoelle, but the flats at the bottom probably would have been miserable for the two non-AT alpiners. We found enough nice turns to make up for all of the traversing, and had no issues with pollen even down toward the car.

author=Robyn link=topic=7330.msg29212#msg29212 date=1181004822]
...If it was taken in late afternoon (after 4 or so) those four people might have been my group.

Yep, I'd say it was your gang, Robyn.  Thanks the kind words and thanks for modeling to enhance our view!!  ;)
Glad you missed the pollen.

A few more photos here from our Sunday adventure.

Looks like Mad_Dog saw a mad dog.

Great report that is a fun read!  RonJ with some sweet action shots of some skiing on the PG.  Looking good there Jeanette. 

Seeing your pics and reading the report is the stuff that makes me homesick.  On Sunday here in the former East Berlin we took an underground tour of our neighborhood "water canal." That translates to "flowing subterranean river of sh_t" in English.  Wish we'd know the translation before we got down there.  We of course bailed as quickly as we could.  The young families with toddlers seemed immune and stayed. You have to love the options available for a weekend outting in the Seattle area.  Berliners just don't have it quite as good.

Jennifer and I are coming to Seattle later this month to make arrangements for our next extended stay in Germany and there is a chance that I can squeeze in a day of skiing.  Are you two skiing later in the month or is June in the bag?

author=JibberD link=topic=7330.msg29241#msg29241 date=1181068031]
Looks like Mad_Dog saw a mad dog.

Hi Doug, at least I didn't have to chase MY breakfast before I got it  ;).

author=JibberD link=topic=7330.msg29241#msg29241 date=1181068031]
Are you two skiing later in the month or is June in the bag?

Get in touch before you get in town, as long as there's snow we'll keep going  ;D.

hey Mad_Dog and ron j.  great report, and photos, especially the one of Mad_Dog -- good eye.  looks like a fun day.

Reply to this TR

june-3-2007-paradise-glacier-cowlitz-rocks
JMor
2007-06-04 14:00:13