Home > Trip Reports > 6/03- Interglacier to Stemboat prow

6/03- Interglacier to Stemboat prow

6/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Scotsman on 6/4/07 12:24am
After skiing the Nisqually chute with Michael on Saturday, it was his wife's turn to get some skiing while he looked after the house so at 7.30 am, Sidnie and I left the White River campground for the Glacier Basin trail.

As  previously said, the damage to the trail is amazing and on the way up it broke the monotony of the hike and was actually quite fun in that warped sense I seem to enjoy.  ;D

We made the top in 5.5 hrs from the car and it was quite cold due to a strong chilling wind. Near the top I was bonking and taking 25 steps at a time while Sidnie was going very strong.

The descent down was heavy slush and only on the steep bit at the bottom where you able to let it rip. The crevasses are starting to show but still very manageable.

After the Muir spectacle the day before, the lack of people and wild setting was very impressive.

Once tired, the trail out was a horrendous death march and every windfall we had to climb over was cursed.
The state of the trail makes it a strenuous day.
Scottie-
Good job, Looks like you got the job done!
Now you can do a side by side comparison of the two options we tried to decide last week.
Joe

Joe you where so right!  A big crew on that trail would have been murderous.
As I was climbing over yet another obstacle on the way down, I turned to Sidnie and said"lift skiing sounds so good right now".
I will never question your judement again. ;D

author=Scotsman link=topic=7325.msg29145#msg29145 date=1180974132]
I will never question your judement again. ;D

Now that sounds dangerous!

Did you get caught in any lightning or thunder showers?-it looked like it was hovering over that way.

could see the thunderheads building just as we where getting ready to descent . By the time we reached the Campgroud the thunder claps had started and it was raining by the time we left. Timing is everything! Never felt worried aout them athough we had discussed beforehand about keeping an eye on the weter and turning around if necessary.

I was also up there Sunday. Started down from top @3. Snow was almost unworkably mushy, not sure if an hour or two earlier woulda been better (maybe). Even a snowboard was unable to offset the mushiness, this might have been the slowest snow I have ever slid on (and pollen was not even involved). Needs a good freeze! Looks like good cover over in Summerland.

Thunderclaps were quite audible from the Prow but the clouds producing them were further east. Did not rain on the hike but on the drive home there were thundershowers as I was driving 410 all the way past Greenwater. One of the stronger mountain thunderstorm deluges I've seen in the cascades for a while, was dropping some chunky hail too.

Reply to this TR

6-03-interglacier-to-stemboat-prow
Scotsman
2007-06-04 07:24:54