Home > Trip Reports > June 3, 2007, Silver Peak (short season)

June 3, 2007, Silver Peak (short season)

6/3/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by silaswild on 6/3/07 2:56pm
After a hot shower and long night's sleep, I felt much better this morning after a big (for me) day yesterday.  Luckily I had a few friends looking for an afternoon ski, and Zap's report had me worried that the Silver season might be closing soon after a week of hot sun melting the snowpack several inches per day. 

Nearing the end of the road to Windy Pass at 1PM, we passed 20+ parked cars to reach the empty spot at the front of the line!   Then we needed to do no route finding thanks to the ski tracks showing us the way to go up without removing skis and walking (except for crossing to the other side of the road low down.)   At our high point on the ridge crest we watched MaryG and friend swoop down the nice corn, declining our invitation to check the other side.  The west slopes had melted considerably since Memorial Day forcing us to find a new way down.  The hike back up was nice and cool in the shade of a little rain cloud.   Back on the crest we lounged in the sun and  watched an amazing cloud of yellow green pollen blow down valley from Lake Annette.  Wish we'd had a camera to document it.

Not sure about the best route back to the car, having done a few traverses over slide alder on the way up, we chose a more direct line which led us to a nice stream crossing at 4000' followed by some careful sleuthing to minimize walking in the final 300' vertical.  Total ski-less travel for the day was a couple hundred yards, snow is melting fast, easy Silver was fun while it lasted this year, less than two weeks? 
author=silaswild link=topic=7324.msg29127#msg29127 date=1180936592]
Back on the crest we lounged in the sun and  watched an amazing cloud of yellow green pollen blow down valley from Lake Annette.  Wish we'd had a camera to document it.

Hmm... neat.  My car, parked at the Heliotrope ridge TH, was covered in pollen at the end of the day.  What is making the pollen so plentiful this year?  When will it stop?

I think the most likely culprits include early onset of spring, lots of warm days and not much rain to keep the pollen stuck to the trees.  The trees are thrilled but it doesn't help the skiing.    :)

Back on the crest we lounged in the sun and  watched an amazing cloud of yellow green pollen blow down valley from Lake Annette.  Wish we'd had a camera to document it.

I witnessed the same phenomena from Naches Peak down into the East drainage of highway 123.
I thought I was seeing things and asked the others if they saw that what I was seeing.
It was like mustard gas was dispensed all along a tree ridge line, the way the sun was hitting it made it look soft and light green just above the trees. This extended up the ridge for what I would guess a mile. To far away for a 3x zoom to really catch.
Cool stuff to see.
Joe

Not sure about the best route back to the car, having done a few traverses over slide alder on the way up, we chose a more direct line which led us to a nice stream crossing at 4000' followed by some careful sleuthing to minimize walking in the final 300' vertical.  Total ski-less travel for the day was a couple hundred yards, snow is melting fast, easy Silver was fun while it lasted this year, less than two weeks? 

I figured we were following your up tracks on our way down since they were not yet melted out. I always seem to
try to follow the snow as long as possible and then it gets me into trouble.
Next time I am staying away from that slide alder! When in doubt stay in the trees!

Yes, we should have done another lap and joined you but Jon had a commitment in town.

I hiked into Lake Anette with my new pup "Bergie" on Saturday- there was a thick layer of green pollen dust all around the lake edges, not that crystal clear inviting waters I usually see up there.

Mary

Reply to this TR

june-3-2007-silver-peak-short-season
silaswild
2007-06-03 21:56:32