Home > Trip Reports > June 2, 2007, Ingalls/Longs Pass

June 2, 2007, Ingalls/Longs Pass

6/2/07
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by altasnob on 6/3/07 2:42pm
My aspirations to climb and ski Stuart quickly diminished after seeing how dry to route is from Longs Pass. Instead, I opted for a short ski tour around the Longs and Ingalls Pass area. Still quite a bit of snow up towards Ingalls Peak but the couloirs on Stuart look like scree slogs for the rest of the year. In a week or so, the trail up to Ingalls Pass should be snow free. Here's some pics:

Wow, that is some different view from six days ago!  The "easy" season on Stuart is short.

Nice pics.  We skied the Fortune Bowl (SE flank of Fortune) on Sunday, 6/3.  The bowl was in fine shape.  There was ample coverage to the glades just above the creek crossing, but not much snow below the creek crossing.  We accessed via booting up Ingalls Pass trail, making it a loop trip.  The slopes NE of Fortune also appeared to have ample coverage.  The turns-to-grunt ratio on our loop trip was not great with only 1600 feet of downhill verts and 3000 feet of climb.  It's melting out fast up there, but the bowl might be in shape for another week or two with some rock dodging.

Thanks for the report and great pictures showing the coverage or lack of.

Here are a couple of shots from a climb and ski of Stuart via Ullrich's Couloir I did last year on June 18.  The conditions appear to be very similar now to then.  Although the couloirs look like they may not go when viewed from Longs Pass they likely have more snow in them than it seems.  Despite what we  saw, we decided to go anyways and I was pleasantly surprised.  It is a fun ski.  The pics are of the climbing route in red up Cascadian Couloir and the ski route down in blue via Ullrich's.
The other shot is of the summit snowfield heading down into Ullrich's taken from the ridge to the summit.

Reply to this TR

june-2-2007-ingalls-longs-pass
altasnob
2007-06-03 21:42:49