Home > Trip Reports > May 26-28, Hayden gl, Middle Sister

May 26-28, Hayden gl, Middle Sister

5/15/07
OR elsewhere
Posted by Jeff Huber on 6/3/07 7:46am
I have a bad record for trips going as planned on Memorial Day weekends. This past Memorial Day weekend Pat (whose nickname is 'Shred€™), Mels, Keith, and I camped at the base of the Hayden Glacier on Middle sister with hopes to ski the TR here). This past Memorial Day we were again turned-around by inclement weather.

After making the hike in from Pole Creek TH on Saturday afternoon, we setup camp at the base of the Hayden Glacier. It was a little less than 4 miles of hiking before we started skinning. Middle Sister from camp:

That night the weather took a downturn with the winds picking up substantially. I€™ve been in a lot of windy conditions before, but I can€™t recall winds that were as loud as what we experienced.

The weather was forecasted to improve Sunday afternoon/Monday, so we got up late on Sunday and hoped we would be able to ski the SE ridge that afternoon/early evening. We skinned up the Hayden glacier that afternoon but soon were engulfed in clouds. Shred and I hunkered down at the base of Prouty Pinnacle hoping if we waited long enough the weather would improve and we could ski the SE ridge. The weather did not improve, and after about two hours of waiting/shivering we returned back down the glacier. Towards the bottom of the glacier the light improved and we found good skiing and took several laps.

Monday morning the weather was perfect, but we wanted to be back in Portland by late afternoon so we had limited time to ski. Keith, Shred, and I took a quick tour to the col between Middle and North Sister. We had excellent skiing on the way down.

Me, Keith, and the east face of Middle Sister at the bottom of the Hayden:

I€™ll be back again next year. Hopefully the third time will be the charm.

Reply to this TR

may-26-28-hayden-gl-middle-sister
Jeff Huber
2007-06-03 14:46:34