Home > Trip Reports > June 2 Tatooshing MRNP

June 2 Tatooshing MRNP

6/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 6/3/07 1:11am
Tatoosh was fun yesterday. Foss and Unicorn doable if you go extra early. Road only open to the end of Reflection lake. 5'-6' at road cut. South facing was very sloppy so We stayed on north facing and made 3 runs from the Castle saddle. The last being the best from the top into  that little chute to the east right up against the ridge that divides sunbeam drainage from lets say Castle saddle drainage. whole loot of good skiing in almost corn with out a lot of work. Be sure and take a scraper and scrape the pollen after each downhill run before putting skins back on. Worked great for me! Gary didn't do it and he had quite the pollen buildup on his skis. This  morning I  looked at my skis untouched from our longest run (the Last ) and there was quite the pollen on mine as well. just keep scraping! 
Added note the park is extending all passes by 6 months. Mine expired last week and the ranger punched 6 more months for me. Be sure and have everybody in the vehicle hold thier passes out to be punched!
Thanks for the heads up on the passes Robie.
Looks like a great trip-That chute is a fun one to ski back.
You say the snow is 5-6 feet at the road end of Reflection?
So the road is snow covered past that?
Just wondering for a Snow Lake-Unicorn, may be easier to go up and over Foss with an upper traverse.
Thanks,
Joe

After leaving the Tatoosh to you, we looked back from Pebble Creek and asked ourselves "what are we doing over here, again" The snow is always whiter on the other range. Nice choice.

Joe ,
the road is plowed and bikeridable down to Snow /bench lake trail head. seems like the Park ought to open it up at least that far ? there's room to turn around down there. After that it's probly melted out . i hear there is some damage to the stevens canyon road further down.  From what I could see of Unicorn the upper to the summitt is now seprate from the saddle and below. IT also appears to have a glissade track rightdab in the middle!  Could be a snowball or rock gouge too.
I really wanted to ski it but it was all hot and sweaty traverseing across Foss as well as our usual giggle runs down the south side of Castle saddle.

Reply to this TR

june-2-tatooshing-mrnp
Robie
2007-06-03 08:11:23