Home > Trip Reports > June 2, 2007, Little Tahoma from Paradise

June 2, 2007, Little Tahoma from Paradise

6/2/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Oyvind_Henningsen on 6/2/07 11:13pm
Sean, Khanh, Tim, and I had a nice trip up Little T today.  Headed up from Paradise to below Anvil Rock, around 8,600 crossed the Cowlitz on a shelf above icefall, below seracs.  Some crevasses, but not hard route finding in excellent visibility.  Across Cathedral Rocks at around 8,400 and onto the Ingraham which was very smooth.  Cleaver crossing onto Whitman Gl was no problem and slog up began.  Booted from 10,300 - bad postholing.  Scramble to summit on crap rock, but fun and not bad.  Great views from the top of the conga line on the DC route which appears to be winding alot already.  Skied down left side of Muir snowfield, alot of people enjoying the beautiful day on the mountain.
Sweet Oyvind!  I love that route via the Cowlitz and Ingraham.  I posted a link to your TR on my website.  That's a big 1-day ascent -- way to get it done!

Hey, what does your posting signature mean?

--Scott

HI Scott - thank you for your reply.  My posting signature is in Norwegian and is based on a list of 9 "sound mountain advice/knowledge rules" that were developed for an accident prevention campaign after a particularly bad Easter vacation in 1967 where 18 people lost their lives.
1.  Do not go on a long trip without training/knowledge/fitness
2.  Let someone know where you are going.
3.  Show respect for the weather and the weather forecast
4.  Be prepared for storms and cold even on short trips.  Always carry a backpack with the necessary equipment the mountain demands.
5.  Listen to experienced mountaineers (this is my signature)
6.  Learn and know how to use a map and a compass
7.  Do not travel alone
8.  Turn around in time - there is no shame in turning around.
9.  Save your strenght and "dig down" in time (snowcave)

Well, anyway, roughly translated that is....

Reply to this TR

june-2-2007-little-tahoma-from-paradise
Oyvind_Henningsen
2007-06-03 06:13:38