Home > Trip Reports > 5, 30 Vesper-Featuring the Headlee Pass helmet cam

5, 30 Vesper-Featuring the Headlee Pass helmet cam

5/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by artfreeman on 5/31/07 10:15am
Fun day on Vesper with soft snow as you€™d expect given record high temperatures.  The big creek crossing about 45 min in is said to be the crux of this trip in early season.  This year the logs are all there, but it very much got our attention!

Skinned from the start of the deep flat valley before Headlee Pass.  I€™d hiked this several times in the summer but never in snow.  Was not obvious to me where H Pass was.  It all looks different in snow.  The gully you want is the farthest one up the valley with vert rock wall on the left as you head up (see photo).  Or you can just follow other€™s tracks and hope for the best.

Carried skis up the steep gully and from there was able to skin all the way to the top.  Soft snow, but very skiable.  Did get some of that nasty pollen tar goop on the skis and had forgotten the citrus wax remover to take it off.

This video shows that the slopes on Vesper are fun even for €œintermediate€ skiers. (I did take the liberty of speeding it up, though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u07_oHUU9Co

As for the helmet cam€¦well actually it was the pack-strap-duct tape-cam.  See photo of it below.  I€™ll sell you a kit if you want.  Pointed a bit too far down, but still gives a pretty good idea of the ski down Headlee Pass, which includes a free stone grinding!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-fVFqM7L9g
Outrageous, I love this trip for the fear factor in several locations.  Nothing like the knowledge you've got the swollen afternoon creek to deal with after you make it through everything else.  The first video is marked "private"...can you loosen it up?  Thanks.  David

Thanks--I made the first movie public now, so it should work.  Grab the popcorn!--Art

Reply to this TR

5-30-vesper-featuring-the-headlee-pass-helmet-cam
artfreeman
2007-05-31 17:15:18