Home > Trip Reports > Chinook Pass Local Tour 5.28.07

Chinook Pass Local Tour 5.28.07

5/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Joedabaker on 5/30/07 9:51am
On Memorial Day morning a large crew of TAY talent met at Buzzy's in Greenwater to debate a tour to the Inter Glacier or Chinook Pass Dewey Lakes. Either way was not going to disappoint the corn starved crew.
After a short debate and show of hands, democracy won over to go to Chinook Pass.

Flimsy clouds gave way to bright sunshine at the pass. The snow had a good freeze overnight and the snow had some degree of purchase for skinning without crampons for a while...the snowpack needed the freeze to consolidate what has been kinda slushy the last few days. We set off just East of the Chinook pass bridge bundled in jackets soon to be peeled off like banana skins in the monkey house. We traversed to the summit of Point 6567. There is good snow coverage on the traverse and at the point.
Awesome corn skiing off the NW face for two rounds. Great views from that location!
At the end of the 2nd round we traversed into the S bowl off 6567 that extends through avalanche tree glades to Dewey Lake-Awesome ski-no pollen! Navigated through the spaced trees back up to the saddle at the western base of 6567.
The rule of the day-Remember to not go to far left! ;)
Backtracked our route and veered off up to nearly the False Summit on Naches Pk and dropped the west bowl of Naches to Tipsoo LK. Awesome ski-no pollen! To bang out the extra vert, we took a secret squirrel route all the way down to Cayuse 123.
Great trip with a fun group of folks! Total numbers for those who count-8 participants-8.53 miles RT-9 hours 20 mins-5024 vert.
Lot's of photos and filming from the Dan-Jer crew. I did not take pictures, so I will rely on others to contribute.
The snow should keep to 6567 for sometime, but down to Dewey south face may not last long due to exposure and limited snow depth.
Good Fun!
Joe

Sweet tour, Joe.

Joe,  thanks for leading the procession.  I did my part in bringing up the rear. Amazing about the lack of pollen. I expected to be walking down to Dewey Lakes.  Sometimes you just luck out. 

Michael

It was a sweet tour. Now just need to figure out how to post the pics! My arms are still sunburned 8)

Ummm ....just a little late on the video.....Don't Go Left

Nice viddy JW! Love the tunes!
The delay is a perfect way to relive a great day with friends.
Thanks-For the rerun on the "don't go left tour"!

Great day re-lived thanks JW ;D

Reply to this TR

chinook-pass-local-tour-5-28-07
Joedabaker
2007-05-30 16:51:46