Home > Trip Reports > 5/27: Big Craggy Peak; 5/28: Blue Lake col

5/27: Big Craggy Peak; 5/28: Blue Lake col

5/15/07
Posted by kam on 5/29/07 4:48pm
€œLet€™s try something different this Memorial weekend.€

A peak in the Pasayten wilderness was a welcomed idea, at least until we arrived near the end of Eightmile Creek road to find no snow.

€œWell, it looks good to me!€ I mumbled, and then added softly, €œIt could be worse, like living in Virginia...€

There were eight in our group (including Cass, Allyson, Kelvin, Cinnamon, Justin, Darryl and Maureen) and we left Seattle Saturday morning.  Before reaching the TH to Big Craggy, we stopped to soak in the view at WA pass:

That evening we camped at a pull-out about a quarter of a mile past the Copper Glance Creek TH (3800€™) on Eightmile Creek Road (#5130).  On Sunday morning I woke the crew at 7am using my new wind-up siren/radio/flashlight.  WOW!  This is a must-have gadget €“ it does not require batteries, but instead it€™s equipped with a hand crank.  Need I say more?  By 8:15am we were shouldering our skis up the trail toward the south flank of Big Craggy.  Before long, some of us were skinning on what looked like snow.  I was dying at this point to slide on my new skis, which by the way were not named yet. (I

Monday: after a nice breakfast in Winthrop, we stopped at WA pass for a quick tour up to Blue Lake col.  The weather was very nice €“ blue skies with a comfortable breeze.  We saw a handful of skiers in the area.  Before returning to Seattle, we made a mandatory stop for Good Food in Marblemount €“ I love that place and their pepper steak sandwich!

More photos:

-
Another fun Memorial Day weekend fer sure!
More pics here.

"Kam- Can I borrow your wind-up light?!"

Kam et al. - We ran into you at the very beginning of your descent from the col. Good to meet you all. Despite the discussion about how the snow was probably better on the blue lake side, we opted to ski down the backside to the hairpin anyway. It was better than we expected. Pictures coming soon. 

great photos guys (i especially like 'wu manchu'  ;D) and another memorable memorial day trip.  i was glad to get out and enjoy some washington mountains again!  and as always there were lots of laughs and funny moments.  thanks everyone for coming out and for making the trip such a blast--see you next month!  8)

Another epic car camp Memorial Day trip! 

Lucky for us that Kam brought a wind-up siren so that he could alert us of imminent dangers.  Of course, he first had to yell at us to be quiet so that we could hear the siren.  It's pretty effective.

Awesome guys!  Big Craggy ski -- great idea.  Really enjoyed the TR.  I posted a link to it from my website. --Scott

Reply to this TR

5-27-big-craggy-peak-5-28-blue-lake-col
kam
2007-05-29 23:48:18