Home > Trip Reports > May 26-28, Rainier via Emmons

May 26-28, Rainier via Emmons

5/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ema on 5/29/07 3:05am
skiing off the top of rainier has long been on my todo list, and this weekend the stars finally aligned for me and three of my girlfriends.

as it has been mentioned, the highway into glacier basin is no more; weaving thru trees and boulders carrying 3-day packs, with skis and boots attached, took about an extra 2 hours. we were the only party at camp shurman sat evening; beautiful bright moon rendered headlamps unecessary.

the forecast for sunday was for mostly cloudy and chance of showers, so we planned to hang out and rest for the day. instead, we woke up to a blue-bird day, not a shred of wind, and the huge blanket of clouds spitting drizzle over the puget sound way below us. but the instinct for lazying about prevailed, so that's what we did the whole day, sunning on the rocks like lizards, chatting with the rangers, eating pancakes, you get the picture...

monday morning dawned clear and not as windy as the previous evening (we had measured 45mph gusts) and we started our bid for the summit at the leisurely hour of 6:45, hoping to find softened snow on the way back. the route to the summit took us over a few thinnish snowbridges - i punched thru in one place with one foot and one of us with both feet. it was windy and quite cold the entire ascent, so we did not linger on the summit, even though we had it to ourselves.  one party on foot had summited before us, but i think that was it for the day, rather unusual for a 3 day weekend with good weather.

the first few thousand feet of the descent, to the top of the corridor, were firm carveable snow, which would have been quite enjoyable had i not been so worried about picking a good line thru the crevasses. we had high hopes for smooth snow on the corridor, but instead had to contend with a bone rattling descent over refrozen corn. we rolled into camp shurman very happy with our unadventurous, no-mishap ascent and descent, chatted some with solo baker lisa (see TR earlier in the month) and had a fantastic ski down the interglacier, in perfect corn. i forgot all about the heavy pack, the tired legs, the awful slog ahead out of glacier basin, and let just let fly down the mountain - ahem, no tele-turns though...

best not to say anything about the walk out, except that we were able to keep skis on quite a bit past glacier basin and that we had cold beers waiting for us at the car.
woohoo!  congrats Ema!  I was wondering about you gals this weekend...  glad to hear that y'all were above the weather that ruined the plans that some of us (like me) had for the weekend.

Thanks for sharing such an amazing trip Ema and for your excellent navigation skills around the crevasses.  Driving across 520 this morning was extra special with the mountain in full view thinking about having stood on it and skiied it less than 24 hours ago.  http://www.mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/ 

Awesome Ema. Rainier is a big beast of a mountain and you should be happy to have gotten to ski it. I was so jealous of those who were up on rainier on monday! I went up on friday and the wind was the least I'd had since my first climb of it, but it snowed on us during our late summit. The snow could have been better up high, but the nice corn down low made up for it. What a great mountain!

YAY!!! Nice work ladies!!  I'm SO happy for you!!!   :)  :)  :)  Pete and I looked south several times this weekend, unable to see Rainier through all the clouds and hoping you were well above it.  Glad to hear it worked out.

Congrats!

Congrats Ladies!!  I just got all the juicy details from Andrea -- wow ... sounds like you had a great time!!  What a huge accomplishment -- not only did you summit but you got to ski all the way down!  Very cool. 

-- Q  :)

Very nice!  Congrats to all of you.

Nice goin you all, It must've been so nice sleeping in and making the summit and not having to walk down and having cold beer waiting.  very very smart!  Congrats!

Awesome!  Great work -- sound like we were all thinking of you, wondering if you'd made it above the crap weather that everyone else had.  Nice job!

"Women Hear Us Roar".....Congratulations you guys....what a terrific trip report....great weather, tasty food, good climbing companions....what more could you ask for? Wish us similar luck in July....although....no one can top BBQ'd porkchops at 9,400' !!

awsome!, nice work,, i made it to the summit on the dc last spt. too pitenentety to ski from the sumit, the wind nearly knocked me into the the sharp ice formations on liberty cap. I cant belive those crevases on emmons can be filled in and skiied over!

Excellent!  So it really did clear up somewhere up there on Sunday. Way to go with the plan for this long strenous trip.

Congratulations girlz ! :D  heard about your plans and was concerned you wouldn't be as fortunate with the weather like in the N. cascades where i was. 
yeah, those painful hikes out.... nice work all of you!

Reply to this TR

may-26-28-rainier-via-emmons
ema
2007-05-29 10:05:35