Home > Trip Reports > May 28, Silver Peak

May 28, Silver Peak

5/15/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Jim Oker on 5/28/07 3:01pm
Heavily jet lagged, I stumbled up to find the road open nearly to Windy Pass today. We had snow at the bumber and a lazy 2PM start. The clouds lifted as we approached the summit ridge, and we couldn't resist a run off the back side of the ridge.

After recent reports of mush, we were psyched to find fast firm carvable corn for a nice steep 1-K-ish run. Weightless drops between easy turns - what a wonderful feeling!

What goes down must come up, but the step kicking was ideal. We saw Silas and his buddy arriving at the ridge as we returned there - they had decided to have this tour as a little dessert after skiing one of the sub-peaks of Ingalls earlier in the day!!

The return through the basin was a little mushier but still fun on the right aspects. We got some pollen and slush slog factor by the clearcut above Windy Pass, though not quite the ski-stopping sludge I found a few weeks ago in woods at the Baker ski area, so it just meant no turns and a little skating on flats to get back to the car.

The snow on the road had melted a bunch during the day - I think this tour will go fast, but plenty of route options were still open as of today.
how rough is the road back in to silver peak?  do ya need a high clearance vehicle? 

author=Jim Oker link=topic=7262.msg28906#msg28906 date=1180418463]
We saw Silas and his buddy arriving at the ridge as we returned there - they had decided to have this tour as a little dessert after skiing one of the sub-peaks of Ingalls earlier in the day!!

The return through the basin was a little mushier but still fun on the right aspects.

Thanks for the steps back up, very helpful. 

Snow in the basin was mushy, and in the shade of the trees skiers right was nice buttered corn.

Pete, the road is fine for 2wd, a couple spots would not work for a low clearance sports car.

Reply to this TR

may-28-silver-peak
Jim Oker
2007-05-28 22:01:03