Home > Trip Reports > May 27, 2007, Naches Peak

May 27, 2007, Naches Peak

5/27/07
WA Cascades East Slopes South
Posted by Marco on 5/27/07 3:27pm
Ron J and I toured from Chinook Pass, clockwise around Naches until gaining the summit from a southerly (?) approach.  Visibility was marginal at best so no views were to be had, however we did enjoy a nice lunch at the summit.  Ever vigilant with regard to backcountry safety, Ron had brought along a bottle of snow water treatment/margarita mix to assure we didn't wind up sick with giardia...   :D

From the summit we skied to a 2nd car dropped west of the pass at the first hairpin turn for additional vertical.  Conditions were surprisingly good given the warm temperatures and recent reports of an unconsolidated snowpack.  Generally just a few inches of slush over a reasonably consolidated base.  Snowcover is lower than last year at this time, but given some clear weather and cool overnight temps the route should be in excellent shape for a little while at least.

As always, Ron guided through near zero visibility right on target to our 2nd car - sweet! 

Marco
I seem to recall a similar TR last year.  This could become an annual event for testing GPS unit accuracy.  I think Joedabaker became a "believer" after your trip last year.

Ron's water treatment system is reliable if taken in small doses.

Thanks for the report.  I think I'll dust the furniture today and wait for the corn.   ;)

Marco - Thanks for doing the TR;  Good description of the snow conditions, and thanks again for rescuing me from a solo trip.  It was great to ski with you.  Fun stuff.

Not much in the way of pics tho, in that we were "on instruments" the whole time.

I found this phenomenon interesting and got a shot of it:

Icicles forming from meltwater dripping off the pines...

The only other shots I got were of Marco helping me sterilize snow.

Zap - That dementia riddled brain seems to have an amazingly accurate recall for its age. 
Nonetheless, seems to me like you'd best go easy on that "honey do" list; you wouldn't want to strain that back again and miss out on some skiing  ;)

Reply to this TR

may-27-2007-naches-peak
Marco
2007-05-27 22:27:18