Home > Trip Reports > May 27, chaotic glacier, RMNP

May 27, chaotic glacier, RMNP

5/15/07
Posted by danhelmstadter on 5/27/07 6:36am
I atempted this route several days ago, but the park had recived ~8" of new snow, with some wind, I got a late start, and by the time i got high, the snow was wet and ready to sluff, so i skiied a few laps on the east face of flattop instead. last night i drove up to the trailhead to avoid the np user fee, my alarm malfunctioned, and did not wake me up at 430, instead i got up at 6, and left soon after,, this late start made me miss the corn window on chaotic, thats the second alarm clock this week thats broke! after several hours of hikeing i arived at the top of chaotic glacier, i went up the easy trail instead of bushwachking up chaos canyon. The snow was crappy at the top ~12" of full on wet grains,, which made for serious sluffing on the 50dg+ headwall,, but the angle mellowed ~halfway down, and the recent snows of a few days ago had already melted out to the old corn below, makeing for awsome turns. i was able to ski almost down to lake hahayah, then up to a little col,,, from the col i could see hordes of holiday hikers at dream lake ~500 ft below, i strapped on my skis and hero skiied through some knarly trees, and various mixed wierdness, with cheers comeing from below.
What did you ski in the borrowed picture?  Something on the face on the left?

Two broken alarm clocks in a week... hmm.

skiied the "glacier"(snowfield) towrds the right of the picture,, off the cd, its not a very good representational shot, pics in rmnp are especially deciving of scale,, the mt to the s. does not yeild very good skiing, not much snow...

Reply to this TR

may-27-chaotic-glacier-rmnp
danhelmstadter
2007-05-27 13:36:39