Home > Trip Reports > May 26, 2003, S. Ingalls Pk. and Fortune Mtn

May 26, 2003, S. Ingalls Pk. and Fortune Mtn

5/26/03
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by John Morrow on 5/26/03 6:50pm
Erik S. and I began the day at the N.FK. Teanaway TH which is drivable to the end.  Headed into Ingalls Pass after only having to hike about a half mile to solid snow.  From there it was up a steep and daring skin track on the Southeast face of S. Ingalls Peak 7640+ someone put in the day before.  It then turned into a step kick up a very steep, wind formed, knife edged snow rib on the East ridge.  We were thankful for the bomber steps by the previous party, as we only had one self arrest grip and no ice axes between us.  Looking at our descent entrance back into the SE face left us concerned.  At the top we learned that this track was boldly put in by the Skoog brothers (from the summit register).  After a few nice warm up turns off the top, it was time to turn into this steep and rocky entrance to the face.  I put the self arrest grip to use as my skis slipped out from under me which could have been real bad.  Erik made a couple of nice hop turns.  A short traverse, and a bit of side slipping put us above a fabulous run back into Headlight basin.  I am so thankful for making the switch from skinny and leather to fat and plastic gear.
Then it was up to Fortune Mtn 7382'.  At a 1:30 PM arrival to the summit we weren't too hopeful for much good corn left.  But to our surprise we had a great run in still good corn down the 2000 foot vertical South slope.  Another great day in the Teanaway!
Funny there should be two ski climbs of S. Ingalls in two days, since there was no previous mention of skiing in the summit register. I thought the peak was really nice, with an interesting route and pretty setting. We camped near Long's Pass on Sunday night and skied Ulrich's couloir on Mt Stuart on Monday. I'll post a trip report when I have more time.

Where was the register?  I took a cursory look but didn't see one.   Must have been the views of Stuart diverting my attention.

Where was the register?  I took a cursory look but didn't see one.   Must have been the views of Stuart diverting my attention.

Different peak, I think. Didn't you climb the rocky main peak of Ingalls? The snowy south peak is about 1/2 mile to the south.

Ahhhh!  Makes sense.  Yes.  Different Peak, same massiff.

Reply to this TR

may-26-2003-s-ingalls-pk-and-fortune-mtn
John Morrow
2003-05-27 01:50:26