Home > Trip Reports > Big Snow Mountain, May 25, 2007

Big Snow Mountain, May 25, 2007

5/15/07
Posted by Swooz on 5/26/07 7:00am
Big Snow Mountain is one of my favorite mountains, partly because of it's dramatic buttresses and cliffs, it's remote feel given it's proximity to Seattle, the variety of it's various aspects, and it's fantastic views.  The looming gating of the Middle Fork Road at Dingford Creek will greatly increase it's remoteness and eliminate the easiest ski access, the Hardscrabble Lakes route.  That leaves the Lake Dorthy approach and the Dingford Creek route.  Having already done the former and finding it overly long, I convinced Pico to join me in exploring the later.  This route isn't short either, almost 6 miles to Myrtle Lake.  We decided to follow the trail to 3600', then headed for the left side of the prodominate, sharp ridge descending from the summit.  Our goal was the bench at lake level, and we did achieve it after some bushwhacking up a few cliff bands.  In retrospect the much easier access is to follow the outlet stream from Big Snow Lake, which is the route described in Beckey's.  Once gaining the bench, we proceeded for the ridge separating the lakes and followed that up until it merged with the broad slopes leading to the summit, where we found RonL's tracks from earlier.  The views from the summit were good, though a little hazy in the distance.  After a leisurely lunch on top we skied down.  It was softer at top, probably a residue of last weeks snow.  One little sluff I kicked off on a rollover surprised my with a knockdown when I unexpectedly turned right into it, but it was a short ride of 5' before it stopped.  Otherwise it was an excellent run down on a 30 degree slope.  We decided to try the outlet stream gully as our descent route, but had to boot it as there were gaps.  At one point I had to downclimb a waterfall to catch the packs and prepare a downstep off the snow to a boulder top for Pico.  Once we cleared that the going was good back down to Myrtle Lake, where we rested and refueled for the hike out.  The whole trip took us 15 hours for 2000' of skiing, but we were about a month late for conditions.  Otherwise we'd get a 3000' run down to Myrtle and a lot longer glide down the creek.  Still, no regrets as the Dingford trail runs through some excellent old growth, as well as a grove of Doug fir with some of the straightest stems ever seen, and the chorus of Varied Thrush calls on the exit was a melody not to be missed.
I'm sorry we missed the chance to see you guys up there. I was also scoping out a line that would run down to about the 3k level of the Dingford trail, about a mile short of Lil Myrtle lakes. So far it looks like it would go but I think I will save finding out for another year.

Ron, is this the line you were scoping?

Dammit, Jim, I am a skier not a traveler! (for those who remember Bones and Star Trek)  Why did I have to be away again back east for this one?  Got to get up there with you some year.  Glad it was a great trip.  I'll get details from Pico on Monday.
John

Swooz, that may be it, if you look at the 6th and 7th photos on my flckr site, the line I think would be reasonable travels off the summit, traverses skiers left just below the two big chutes, then down a treed ridgeline to the creek. The chutes are pretty dramatic looking but have enormous cornices at the entrance and awkward fall lines. I am not ambitious enough to ski those, but I will take someone elses picture if they want to.

Ron, we followed your tracks west from the summit to check out the gully, a feature I'd seen on the topo's.  I somehow didn't even notice the chutes.  We were debating skiing the gully, but couldn't remember if the bottom was melted out.  Good thing we kept to our original plan, it was as we later saw.  I've also seen a line down the southwest side, dropping into the bowl east of Hester Lake.  Fodder for dreams of next season.

Relying on the accuracy of the time honored old saw that a picture is worth 1000 words, I'm posting some shots which may shed further light on the exact nature of our many-faceted tour to Big Snow.  (You know, Jim; it's theorized that homo sapiens started out in the forest as a tree=dweller and may in fact have evolutionary roots as an aquatic organism. )  No, really.......it was a great day in the hills.

Reply to this TR

big-snow-mountain-may-25-2007
Swooz
2007-05-26 14:00:52