telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
12/16/17, 06:00 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2007 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  May 2007 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  5-22-07, Mt. Stuart W Ridge Notch Couloir attempt
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: 5-22-07, Mt. Stuart W Ridge Notch Couloir attempt  (Read 1883 times)
coldiron
5Member

5-22-07, Mt. Stuart W Ridge Notch Couloir attempt
« on: 05/23/07, 06:13 PM »

I arrived at the Esmeralda TH Monday night with plans for an alpine start to climb and ski Ullrich's Couloir.  I woke up at 5:30 and was chagrined to find out my cell phone battery had prematurely died, thus no alarm. It was cloudless and clear as I left the car at 6 a.m.,with warm temperatures forecast.  I was hoped a fast pace would make up for some of the lost time, but was somewhat resigned to the fact that I would probably have to turn back early to be safe.

I was able to put on skis at 5000 ft. and made good time up to Long's Pass. The sun was just hitting Stuart as I dropped off the cornice down Long's, and the skiing was awesome down to about 5400 feet.  I tried to ski directly to the base of Ullrich's and ended up in the red rock cliff bands a little too far west, above Ingall's Creek.

I had to pick my way down and scramble some easy rock steps down low, but was soon at the creek. A narrow section with some handily placed boulders looked to provide an easy alternative to a sketchy, ski-booted log crossing, but I fell for the old rolling rock trick and went in, managing to soak my boots and pants.  Since the weather was looking good I didn't stop to change, and my pants were dry in 20 minutes. I highly recommend Mountain Hardwear Transition clothing, as I was never even uncomfortable with my pants soaked at 7:30 in the morning.

By 7:45 I was  booting up Ullrich's. Bypassing the first rock step to the left led me up a buttress between Ullrich's and the West Ridge Notch Couloir. I found the 4th class scrambling up the buttress to be quite enjoyable, so chose to continue up the the rock.

Soon, my pace was much slower than I would have liked, but the fun and easy mixed climbing was worth it.  At around 10:30 I was only at 7500 ft.  and I was starting to feel the heat. I checked an off-shoot of Ullrich's and found the snow to be rotten and no fun to ski.  I climbed back over the buttress and found a finger of snow that led into the West Ridge Notch Couloir.

On that side the snow was still somewhat firm with a decent corn surface. I found the West Couloir to be a really fun ski with good coverage almost to the creek.

On the way out I ascended the rock steps leading to the unnamed peak which sits north of Long's Pass and got some good photos from the summit. I also met a few fellow skiers out enjoying the sun.

Down the Esmeralda side I still managed to find some good snow on westerly aspects for the ski out. A good day out in the sun and back at the car at 3:30 in the afternoon. I got some good pictures of Stuart, Ingall's, and the Basin I can post tomorrow if anyone wants a look at the conditions out there.
« Last Edit: 05/24/07, 11:08 AM by coldiron » Logged
jd

Re: 5-22-07, Mt. Stuart W Ridge Notch Couloir attempt
« Reply #1 on: 05/24/07, 06:54 AM »

Yes, please post pictures. We were thinking of Ullrich's Sunday, but might change if the snow is rotten - what do you think (sounds like you only got into a small part of it)?
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.