Home > Trip Reports > May 23, 2007, Red Mtn

May 23, 2007, Red Mtn

5/23/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by androolus on 5/23/07 6:42am
Woke up early at random and decide to head to red mountain at snoqualmie pass. The sahale ski area was devoid of snow, so I changed my plans and tried for silver peak, but that road was blocked by snow 2 miles before the twin lakes trail....so back to the original plan.

Started on snow from the crest trail parking lot. Found a nice boot track into commonwealth creek basin. Started skiing. Crossed the creek near the summer trail crossing...many logs to choose from on the crossing. Then just headed up the summer trail route.

The snow was fairly unconsolidated but luckily quite crusty. Easy step kicking to the summit. Sun hit the slope a little before ten....but I wasn't waiting. Skiing was bad and would only get worse and more dangerous with softening. Not quite breakable crust....but I certainly would have broken through if I had not been quite light on my edges. Did break through occasionally sending death cookies scurry down the slope.

I was able to get into the gully below without removing my skis. Then traversed back to cwc basin on skiers left of big creek. Then returned via summer trail route.

Sorry no pics
Thanks for the report.  Any estimate on how much longer Red will be in condition?

I would say between 1 and 2 weeks....But this is a completely random guess.

Reply to this TR

may-23-2007-red-mtn
androolus
2007-05-23 13:42:48