Home > Trip Reports > May 23-25, 2003, Three Sisters Area,OR

May 23-25, 2003, Three Sisters Area,OR

5/23/03
OR elsewhere
Posted by Zap on 5/26/03 9:13am
Jill and I left late on the 22nd for the Bend area to ski Broken Top and South Sister .  Unfortunately, Jill acquired a 48 hour "bug" and was unable to climb. So we cruised corn snow on Bachelor Butte in the sun.  The Cascade Lakes highway opened on the 22nd and the snowbanks are impressive.

Dutchman Flats parking area had over 40 snowmobilers in the area so heading to Tumalo was not a choice.  The access to Broken Top from the Todd Lake or Green Lake trailheads has limited parking due to the large snowbanks - room for 3 to 5 vehicles at each trailhead.  Access to South Sister at Devils Lake trailhead has 2 small pullouts each large enough for 3 to 5 vehicles. You can skin right from the car.  

Jill was feeling better on the 24th, so we planned to ski South Sister the next morning.  We woke early to the sounds of rain and limited visibility.  Rule #1 - never ski in the rain.  Rule #2 - never violate Rule #1.  We headed back towards Seattle.  It rained most of the way back until we were outside Yakima and the sun broke out.  Headed for Chinook Pass and made a few slush runs in the late afternoon.

The snowpack in the Three Sisters Wilderness is impressive and will provide spring tours for many weeks.  Zap.
Good news, thanks for the info... Heading down for a week this friday. Can Broken Top still be skied from just under the summit block? Hope so....Also planning on skiing the Middle Sister, did you get any views of it?? Just thought I'd ask....

Toby,
There is plenty of snow to ski below the summit block on Broken Top, South Sister and Middle Sister also is skiable.  A few years ago, I did the Three Sisters traverse and skied Broken Top, South Sister and Middle Sister.  On that trip there was no snow at the trailhead for Green Lakes and we had great skiing.  I was able to see the ski routes on Broken Top and the Sisters from Bachelor Butte and they looked great.  Zap

Reply to this TR

may-23-25-2003-three-sisters-area-or
Zap
2003-05-26 16:13:11