Home > Trip Reports > May 21, 2007, Plummer Peak, Tatoosh

May 21, 2007, Plummer Peak, Tatoosh

5/21/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by skip on 5/23/07 4:46am
Although we were hoping for the weather to move out by Monday, a low cloud deck and precipitation kept Jason, Ian, and me from heading up to Muir.  We opted for the Tatoosh as an alternative. Though closed, the road is completely clear to beyond Reflection Lake, making for easy travel to the Pinnacle summer trail.  (As an aside, I hear the road is opening this coming weekend).

With the snow level at 4000 ft. we technically avoided being rained on.  Technically.  Several inches of heavy new mank led me to believe the skinning would be a tiring ordeal, but it was surprisingly easy.  The first half of the ascent was without issue.  Upon reaching the more exposed west side of Pinnacle, however, things got spicier.  Wet slides were coming down from all aspects, largely triggered from debris coming off of adjacent faces.  We mostly picked our route through the trees, but we did have to cross two relatively exposed areas.  Both spurred discussion before attempting.  From the pass up to Plummer was no problem.

After retracing our steps to the pass, we descended via the drainage between Pinnacle and Plummer leading to Tatoosh Creek.  The manky new layer had already peeled off the upper, steeper sections, providing a firm platform for good turns.  The longer, lower sections I spent on the tails trying to retain some semblance of momentum.  It was spring skiing at its finest.

From the creek we skinned back up to the road, then out.

Despite the poor weather and poor skiing, it was very, very good to get out. 

(No pics - I left my camera at home).

Reply to this TR

may-21-2007-plummer-peak-tatoosh
skip
2007-05-23 11:46:43