Home > Trip Reports > May 19 Cowlitz Rocks MRNP

May 19 Cowlitz Rocks MRNP

5/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 5/19/07 3:28pm
Another trip,the fourth in fact that started out in less than ideal conditions and ended up pretty darn sweet. Don ,Dave,Ken ,Paul, Peter,Holly,Jeff,Gary and myself left the parking lot in rain walked down the valley road and entered the white room on top of MAzama ridge. Gary Vogt who basically lives at Cowlitz rocks led the way and we wanded the route expecting to return via white on white. As we approached the old ice caves site the curtain lifted and gave us the veiw. And a nice veiw it was. The rest of the day was bright with clouds scudding ovrhead as we enjoyed some pretty fine relaxed skiing. Jeff furthered his igloo building skills with a quick compact model built taking advantage of a wind berm. It was a good group with new to the backcountry Peter and grizzeled old veteran Gary Vogt both having that big good grin that comes on these kinda days. Holly ,Paul and Don did lap after lap
and Dave and Myself  not believing our good luck on these last four trips.
One thing I did do is use the L.Skoog method skinny (50mm) skins on fat skis for the low angle work. at times I was getting  good kick and glide.
Skiing out we split in two groups Hollly ,Don and Paul down Golden gates and the rest down Mazama.
Don said the ski down Golden gates was really good.
Most snow was still not corned up.
The Paradise glacier is in super fine shape and will be for quite a while. The lower nisqually Glacier is gone for the season. Parking is tight with the construction going on.
The Park should open the Paradise valley road and the Reflection lake road as far it can.  It's plowed and this would take pressure of the construction area parking.
An awesome day! To sum it up in short: ;D
Thanks for taking me along and introducing me to Rainier skiing. I hope to have many more turns with all of you.

Thanks for the report, Roboman.

Hi Robie,  Great pictures.  I met you on St. Helens a few weeks ago.  I should have taken you up on your invitation to Cowlitz.  We tried Hood, and ended camping in a gale.  I did have a great ski down on hard ice with a full pack the next morning.  Not nearly so nice as your report.  We're looking at a couple more trips...Muir (of course) and Adams sometime in June.  Want to join us?
Don (Rusty Knees)

How high up did you go on the Paradise?  What's opened up in terms of cracks...most importantly the large gaper(s) in the 8000 foot range?

thanks...steve

Snow troll ,We didn't go up the Paradise but got a good veiw of it from th etop of cowlitz rocks. The major crevasse that you are talking about th eon eat the pitchbreak i sjust now starting to unzip from the Cowlitz glacier side. Still skiable for quite awhile.You might notice the Paradise coverage in the picture with Gary and Ken pointing.
I wouldn't hesitate to ski it from the top this weekend. still the conservative way is to be cautious, ski down to the midrocks bear to skiers right of the rocks and then point yourself directly at Cowlitz rocks. Using this route is not the most exotic line but it is the safest as that is where the last crossin g of the past years has always been. The best picture to show this is in Becky's 2nd edition page 96 pic taken late in season with full crevasse.
Ski safe.

Reply to this TR

may-19-cowlitz-rocks-mrnp
Robie
2007-05-19 22:28:41