Home > Trip Reports > May 5, 2007, Not so Easy Pass, Hwy 20

May 5, 2007, Not so Easy Pass, Hwy 20

5/5/07
Posted by Paul_Russell on 5/17/07 2:05pm
A late report, but wanted to share a fun and eventful trip to the "not so" Easy Pass area with Monika and Magali including cornice jumping and cornice climbing, tree bashing, bridge and log crossings, route finding, great skiing, and thankfully a successful hitch hike in a beater truck saving a mile long hike at 8pm....great area and a beautiful day for a bit of an adventure.  Ran into a couple of nice climbers back at the truck that evening getting ready to do the N Face of Graybeard -- looked pretty serious.
Way too cool.

The last time I was on that bridge there was a couple there with their child and dog.  The man was on our side, and the dog, wife and child were on the other.  He tried to call the dog over the bridge, but the dog tried to swim the creek.  I thought I was going to see the death of a nice animal, but somehow the dog figured out there was no way he could swim across, turned around and about 50 yards downstream made it back to the original bank from which he started.  Hopefully the dog learned something that day.

a bit of a late addition from me too.
but was a super beautiful area to get out and especially for Magali (pronounced like the film 'Amelie') to ski hwy 20 for the first time. 
pics of a day with great vis seem ironic after blowing snowy wintery hood yesterday May 21.
any rendition in that "not so easy pass" area is always easier on skis    :D

Great picture collage.
Like the skis on crossing the bridge and the courage to stand and ski on spring cornices that size.
Must not have been many alternate routes.
Awesome trip

Was up there the week after you on the 12th.  It was my first trip up hwy 20 also.  From the pass we went NW up to 7690 and them skied down the way we came up.  Snow was pretty heavy/wet.  Spectacular views from up there.  Saw a massive slide come off the top of one of the peaks SW across the valley. 

Which way did you ski down?  Doesn't look like you came down the same way. 

Must not have been many alternate routes.

oh, there were alternatives, but we went with Monika's route choice....she seems to enjoy jumping off of things  ;D
thanks for calling it "courage", some might call it something else!

Which way did you ski down?  Doesn't look like you came down the same way. 

we were lost.  i don't remember.  we just emerged out of the brush and found the highway   ???

Did you come back down the Easy Pass gully below Greybeard or did you cross over Ragged Ridge to the north and come down that bowl?  Were those cornices on the west ridge of Greybeard or did you go north from the pass?

author=Joedabaker link=topic=7154.msg28701#msg28701 date=1179851175]
...stand and ski on spring cornices that size.

definitely not my usual size cornice jumping   ;)  
cold conditions kept them as winter cornices. 
steep soft landing made it fun.

Thanks for the report and the great pics! 8)
I need to get back in that area soon!

I felt a small tendon tear just looking at the cornice pics !

Reply to this TR

may-5-2007-not-so-easy-pass-hwy-20
Paul_Russell
2007-05-17 21:05:44