Home > Trip Reports > May 14-15 Baker Solo Summit Ski

May 14-15 Baker Solo Summit Ski

5/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Lisa on 5/17/07 2:02pm
After a hike up Mailbox peak on Sunday, I was surprised to find a couple inches of fresh snow on top.   That evening when I saw the weather forecast for an 11,000 ft freezing level, I quickly decided to head for a ski of Mt. Baker.

Although I was unable to rouse a partner for an overnight at the last minute, I was not going to let this opportunity pass.  Having done this ski trip for many years now, I was confident to go solo. 
I figured I would see others on the mtn with similar intentions, but was surprised to find the 8 folks I ran into on the walk up the road were leaving.
Though I would have the mtn to myself,  which was indeed a delight as well it was somewhat eerie at the same time.   

After an hour walk/skin up the road and a couple more hours skinning up the moraine, I made camp at 5500ft. 

From camp to the summit took 6 hrs and I was able to skin up the Roman wall which was treat.  The wind was blowing hard from 9000ft up, and the Roman wall was clusters of ice formations atop breakable crust which rang like windchimes as they were tossed about.

Aside from the crusty conditions on the wall, the ski down was buttery soft, then sweet corn, then heavy wet.  An hour later I was at camp. 
The ski to the trailhead toward the car was tough in pollen covered snow which was heavy wet and would occasionally try to toss me on my face, while every effort was made to pull back until my toes screamed at me from the wrenching. 
When I reached the car my bases were coated with in a sticky residue.
Although tired, I was elated at my efforts and success, at times I wondered if I had the gumption to make it happen, I am glad I did.

The pictures are from my phone, my camera batteries died the first night.
Crevasses were obvious and seldom, travel is straight forward and the road may very well be snow free in the next week or two. 
Gear notes:  Whippet

Enjoy!
Your phone takes kicks ass pictures. I plan on heading up on the 27th for a one day trip.
Any other TAY'ers up for a trip?

Any shrund below the saddle?

Looks like you hit the right day.

I'll likely head up that way Monday for a day trip, in case anyone else is free that day.

Scotteryx- I went up the Easton, no info on the saddle if it's the one I'm thinking of on the Coleman/Deming.

Nice effort, Lisa.
I've experienced that "windchime crust" twice over the years, both times on Rainier.  It was a very special experience with creamy smooth, musical skiing both times.  Fun, eh?
I'm glad someone else got to enjoy it.

Lisa.  It is funny that Scott would assume you ascended via Heliotrope Ridge route because you never mentioned which route you took in you TR.  I was trying to figure it out and maybe could have because I think I have a picture of  the feature in your first posted picture from the other side that I took from the Squock Glacier.

Anyway the relevant info to me is the 1 hour skin up the road to Schreiber's Meadow?  Is that true?  And is there any bare patches after the parking lot on the South side?  Did you Ascend via Railroad grade or the Scott Paul Trail?

You should try Helotrope Ridge someday.

Ugh to your day trips Tim and Scott.  Only on skis.  And please post reports.

Wickstad- The ski/walk up the road to the Schrieber Meadows TH was an hour for me.  There are plenty of long dry stretches that could be driven.  I stopped at the temporary sign posted by the F.S. that threatened the motorist who would proceed with a heavy fine.

I would say that you could skin non stop from 1/2 mile or more before the TH. 
I took the Railroad approach but camped on the ridge just east of the RR.

I skied from Heliotrope in 2000 when I was fortunate enough to spend a summer working on the upper mountain and although I enjoyed skiing both routes early season, I must say the North side has far superior sunsets of the San Juans and BC.  Although from what I have recently seen of jd's sunset pictures from Pilchuck, I think Pilchuck has topped the list.

Reply to this TR

may-14-15-baker-solo-summit-ski
Lisa
2007-05-17 21:02:03