Home > Trip Reports > May 13, 2007, Geezers at Paradise

May 13, 2007, Geezers at Paradise

5/13/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Zap on 5/15/07 5:00am
It's Mothers Day, its snowing and only 3 Geezers arrive at Paradise looking for some of our youthful trail breakers.  Ron, Jill and I decided that if we utilize the "senior stall" long enough there would be some takers - no such luck.  Eventually we shuffle along an obscure route above the hotel in a light snowfall and are shocked to see another young group following us.  Naturally, we allow them to pass us.  Then another group follows along and we stand around a bit longer getting our gear "just right".  OK, we're alone for about 3 minutes and a couple of hikers and snowshoers are on our heels.  We start chatting about when we were a bit younger and gas was 25 cents a gallon and then found ourselves again alone.  We were planning to descend the ridge into Edith Creek when Ron starts the dialogue about that BIG ROCK somewhere down there in the whiteout.  No one wants to enter the "whiteroom" first.  Where are the "young and bold" when you need them.

We ski the tree line in 3-4" of new wet snow and dart thru some unknown crack in the treeline and descend to the road.  Conditions were new atop an unconsolidated snowpack on south and western aspects.  We climbed to Mazama Ridge and enjoy lunch with some of Ron's blue daicquari mix in the trees as the sun finally breaks thru.  We descended a more northerly aspect and found better snow conditions but the temperatures were rising radiply as the sun burned thru.  We finally had a nice group of 4 skiers break a trail for us to the top of the ridge.  A fun day with the senior citizens.
Zap - for pictures of what an old pair of your climbing skins are doing, see the TR on cc.com:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/trip-reports/alpine/shuksan-nf-up-skied-white-salmon-down-5-12-2007-2628/

author=Zap link=topic=7125.msg28426#msg28426 date=1179259257">
....enjoy lunch with some of Ron's blue daicquari mix

Uh.. Duuudee...   Helloouu, it was Tarantula Azul Blue Margaritas over fresh powdered snooowww.  Got a little thing going with the short term memory loss, eh  ;)

Serily, what a fun day being out on a day pass from the senior center and being able to sneak out without that damn walker and the helmet, too!

Let's do it again!

Zap having his way with the freshies (post tequila):

More pics HERE.

are geezers in paradise anything like cheeseburgers in paradise?? ;)

looks like you had a good ole' time out there, and i'm sure ron's "Tarantula Azul Blue Margaritas over fresh powdered snooowww" were fantastic too.  you guys always ski in style!  ;D

author=jhamaker link=topic=7125.msg28434#msg28434 date=1179271074]
Zap - for pictures of what an old pair of your climbing skins are doing, see the TR on cc.com:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/trip-reports/alpine/shuksan-nf-up-skied-white-salmon-down-5-12-2007-2628/

James, I'm glad the skins are living a more adventurous life.  ;)

That was quite the adventure.  It's always enjoyable to see and read about the challenging and enjoyable portions of a trip.

Margaritas, yum yum.  I'll have to be on the lookout for geezers next time I'm up there.  Christophe and I had a nice day-trip outta Paradise on Sunday, too.

author=skykilo link=topic=7125.msg28548#msg28548 date=1179528275]
Margaritas, yum yum.  I'll have to be on the lookout for geezers next time I'm up there. 

Should we stumble across you before they're consumed, we'll be delighted to share  ;)

Reply to this TR

may-13-2007-geezers-at-paradise
Zap
2007-05-15 12:00:57