Home > Trip Reports > Who's birthday is it anyway? Another Birthday Tour

Who's birthday is it anyway? Another Birthday Tour

5/15/07
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by Spin Fast on 5/14/07 11:06am
Another beautiful day in the North Cascades. Overall very warm and really soft snow, even on some NE aspects. Plans to ascend toward the Kangaroo temple were scratched; instead we actually stopped and enjoyed the views with a couple PBR's. As a buddy commented on the final ski out, "This is cornice falling weather."

The last image was taken on RT 530 during my bike ride out to the Park for a ski the weekend prior.

Ian
It's Don Portman's birthday that's responsible for the name.

Trippy effect on the middle photo. I like the last one of the buildings a lot.

PBR = Pabst Blue Ribbon?? According the Wikipedia, the "hipster" population in towns like Seattle and Portland have helped fuel a revival of the cheap-but-ok beer from my high school daze.

author=sb link=topic=7121.msg28408#msg28408 date=1179199444]
It's Don Portman's birthday that's responsible for the name.

Burgdorfer sez it's "Sally Portman's Birthday Tour", my guess is Don named it for her so she'd let him out for turns on her magic day.... ::)

author=telemack link=topic=7121.msg28417#msg28417 date=1179206028]
Burgdorfer sez it's "Sally Portman's Birthday Tour", my guess is Don named it for her so she'd let him out for turns on her magic day.... ::)

This intrigued me so I did some quick research.  In an older edition of Burgdorfer's book he refers to "Ski Touring Methow Style" by Sally Portman.  In that book she claims that the Birthday Tour was named for Don Portman's birthday.  In a later edition of Burgdorfer's book the reference to Sally Portman's book is dropped in favor of "Sally Portman's Birthday Tour".  Likely refering to her book without mentioning it and not "her" birthday.

author=Jim Oker link=topic=7121.msg28415#msg28415 date=1179202055]
Trippy effect on the middle photo. I like the last one of the buildings a lot.

PBR = Pabst Blue Ribbon?? According the Wikipedia, the "hipster" population in towns like Seattle and Portland have helped fuel a revival of the cheap-but-ok beer from my high school daze.

You got it!

I'm glad you liked that last image. The beauty of being on a bike, or skis for that matter, is ones ability to slow down and enjoy the less obvious.

Yeah I wouldn't want to be approaching Blue Lake col when that cornice drops, ka-boom!

Reply to this TR

who-s-birthday-is-it-anyway-another-birthday-tour
Spin Fast
2007-05-14 18:06:49